Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Client Wants To Get Her Laptop Online Wants To Ditch Desktop
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:22 pm 

Scott,

I'm going to help a neighbor setup her wireless router so she can get her new laptop online. Her current setup consists of a desktop computer connected to the Internet via a cable modem, which runs Windows 98. She plans to get rid of the desktop, and simply use her new laptop to access the Internet. The main question that I have is do I need to attach both her desktop and her laptop to the new router for the above to work or can I simply setup her wireless router with her laptop as a separate entity? Let me clarify, am I able to connect her new router to her modem and simply use only her laptop for Internet access thus bypassing the desktop altogether? Her laptop has built-in wireless so what do I need to do to make this work? Thanks for the time! :)

Edit: By accident I posted this under the Windows OS index, guess it pertains more to hardware or laptop hardware.

Post subject: Re: Client Wants To Get Her Laptop Online Wants To Ditch Desktop
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
...am I able to connect her new router to her modem and simply use only her laptop for Internet access thus bypassing the desktop altogether?

Yes. Simply connect the router to the modem, then any and all PCs on the network will connect through the router, either via wired or wireless connections. Follow the directions for the router to set up and configure the network and make sure you enable WPA2 security. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration