Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Unidentified network Local Only
 Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:03 am 

I have a computer that will not connect to the internet through my router via ethernet. The connection via wireless just fine. HP dv6700, Vista 32 bit home premium SP2. The network card is NVIDIA nforce Networking Controller.
I have two other PC's connected through the router via ethernet no problems. I used the command prompt ipconfig /all command and I's pulling an IP address, 192.168.0.1 as the default gateway and 192.168.0.104 and 255.255.255.0. I can connect to the internet when plugged directly into the modem via ethernet.
I have tried:
Rebooting the modem then the router.
Changing the ethernet cable (even though the same cable works connected directly to the modem)
disabling Bonjour
Removing and reinstalling the driver.
Changing the advanced properties on the network controller "flow control" to RX & Tx Enabled.
Running the Norton Removal Tool.
Turning off the windows firewall.
Still no connection.
Any help would be great.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Unidentified network Local Only
 Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:02 am 
Site Admin

It sounds like a router problem. You didn't say what router you have (links please), but I'd recommend trying a different port on the router, and/or connecting a different system to the suspected bad port. If that doesn't help then try resetting the router to factory defaults. If the port is bad, then you can just ignore it and use the others instead. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:16 am 

Thanks for the reply. I have a d-link WBR2310. I am online with this computer with the same router via ethernet. The computer that is working is windows 7. I switched ports, put the vista computer on the known good port. No good "unidentified network local only". ipconfig shows an it's getting an ip address from the router. It sees the default gateway. When I ping the router I get "destination host unreachable". It's like something is blocking it.

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:15 am 
Site Admin

I'd say that it is possible that the network adapter has failed, however you said that you could connect directly via the modem. In any case, you might try installing a known good network card or USB network adapter to see if that works.

If not, then I suspect malware on the system may be the root cause. This type of problem can also be caused by overly aggressive anti-malware or firewall programs, so make sure all such software is disabled or removed. I'd also recommend resetting the TCP/IP stack as indicated in the following article: How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

If none of this helps, then a reload may be in order. Let me know what the solution turns out to be. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:43 am 

Reset the TCP/IP stack no good.
Scanned with Malwarebytes, it found nothing.
I'm using a USB adapter and it works fine.
Scanning with ESET now.
If it finds nothing I'll try a the system reload and
I'll let you know
Thanks you for your help

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:13 pm 

ESET found no virus'. The owner uses wireless and wanted his computer back so I didn't have time to do a system reload. I really appreciate your help though.

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:58 pm 

Do you have a firewall up on that computer you having network prob on. you might have a port in your firewall that might be blocking something.

If you do have a firewall which one is it.

Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:11 pm 

I uninstalled Norton and used the Norton removal tool. I tried to connect both with the windows firewall off and on. This was the second computer I've had with a similar issue, Different home, different router. The first computer would connect via the ethernet OK but the wireless would work for a about 10 minutes then would stop connecting to the internet. The wireless signal was showing great but when I tried to pull up a web page...page not found. Reboot and the "unidentified network local only" error would show up on the wireless connection, but the ethernet was OK. The XP computer in the other room was fine on wireless. Both of these computers were Vista SP2 (32bit) connected to ATT. It's has to be an issue with Vista. What is the difference between how XP connects VS Vista. XP doesn't have "local only". What ever it is they seemed to have corrected it in windows 7 because I haven't seen this issue in windows 7. I want to do a lot more home networking and this is driving me nuts!!! Reloading the OS is just not an option to fix this. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Post Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:50 am 

Alex25

Have you try installing a new networking card in the computer that have windows vista.
It could be that the networking card that is in ther now could be bad.
maybe Your ISP blocks non-encrypted websites. Try another browser as well

or you could try this

On the console prompt, type:
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
To reenable it, type:
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Or run this

http://www.reviewingit.com/index.php/content/view/61/1/
Just to make it easy for you too find where to download this

1. Click on "Query Adapter" to get the list of network adapters in your systmer

2. Select the adapter you wish to fix. Reboot your system and see if you can get an IP from DHCP.

3. If you wish to undo the fix, select the adapter and choose "Reset to Vista Default".

Download it HERE.

23/3/2008 Update

Upon request from some friend with sonicwall problems I have added arpretrycount to the tool. Hope this helps more people download it HERE...

on that website.
ok
If this don't work then I don't know.
hope it well.
best I can do for ya.

Or that you could have viruses or malware spyware on your computer

Post Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:53 am 

Thank You Cyberghost That's exactly what I was looking for.

Out of curiosity what does this do?
To reenable it, type:

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:09 am 

Alex25 wrote:

Out of curiosity what does this do?
To reenable it, type:

also did you restart your computer after you disable it?

Here is some of what it well do.

Some networking devices, such as SPI firewalls, some NAT routers, VPN endpoints, WiFi devices have problems with the way Windows Vista resizes the TCP Window. Possible symptomps include: web traffic ok, email timeouts on receiving only, slow or no network file server access, random network timeouts or connectivity problems, freezing or slow web browsing or VPN connections.

Note that disabling TCP Window autotunning limits the TCP Window to 65535, which may not be adequate for faster broadband internet connections.

What I just told you do which one work for you.

Tip if you want to know more about something you can ask here but you can also do a search on google as well. if doing a search on google don't help then post it here.
Take care.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration