Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Unidentified Network: Local Only
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:02 pm 

Hello, I am trying to help my friend he purchased a new Netgear Dual Band wndr3300 router. He is having trouble one of his laptops to this new router. The computer in question is a HP G60 with Vista 32 Home Premium. All of his other computers are able to connect to the new router without a glitch including mine.

Things I have tried: I have been on Google for about 2 hours now, and I have tried everything I could find regarding this issue.

1.uninstalled Norton internet security
2.Set a static IP address
3.Reinstalled the Network wireless drivers.
4.Tried some MS reg fix
5.Tried Renew /Release

I am kind of a at a loss. His laptop see`s the router just fine, and we get a partial connection.

Thanks in advanced! - Shane Thompson

Post subject: Re: Unidentified Network: Local Only
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:15 pm 

Sure is nice when you provide mfg. support links to both products, especially the specific laptop model.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:24 pm 

Have you tried updating the firmware?. Also maybe try setting it to 2.4 only or 5Ghz only depending on what the laptop in question runs.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:47 pm 

Well we turned the security off and it connected. We only have 3 choices for security. WPA2 - WEP - WAP - WAP+wap We tried them all other than WEP and nothing works.

Firmware is up to date fatman - Thanks!

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

Let me know what happens when you try a different network adapter. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:14 pm 

We tried 2 other computers and 2 different Xbox`s all which connected with 0 problems. We are having trouble with this 1 laptop, and I do not have an USB Nic to try.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:11 am 
Site Admin

You could also try a CardBus or ExpressCard adapter, depending on what that laptop will accept. I might normally be more specific, but unfortunately you didn't provide a support page link for the system. You also didn't say what network adapter was in the problematic system, nor did you provide a link to the router page. You said you "Reinstalled the Network wireless drivers", but you didn't provide a link. You mentioned "some MS reg fix" and yet didn't provide a link or really info of any kind about that.

If using a different wireless adapter doesn't help, then what happens when you try a different router? If that doesn't help, then what happens when you try a clean install (including the latest service pack and all updates) on the problem system? Let me know how the story ends... Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:31 am 

Well we were trying to fix it without doing a full reload. Yes, the laptop does work with the old router with no problems.

The old router is a Belkin SurfBoard Model f6d4230-4 v1

Here is the product page for the laptop http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prod ... ang=&cc=us

Cant remember the MS reg fix.

If you think a reload is probable fix then I guess we can try that, for free compared to spending money on an adapter.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:33 am 
Site Admin

One of the most basic tests in any diagnostic situation is to determine whether the problem is hardware or software related. One way of doing this is to eliminate the existing software from the equation. To do this you could completely reload the system as you seem to suggest, but then you would lose the exisiting software, and if that wasn't the problem you will have done a lot of work for nothing. Instead I would recommend booting from an external USB drive that already has a known-good clean install, or optionally doing a fresh clean install at that time. If the symptoms remain using your known-good or fresh clean install, then the original software was not likely the issue, and you have either a hardware or configuration problem instead. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:38 am 

Hey maybe try updating the wireless card drivers, not from the HP site but from the manufacture of the wireless card site?. Or you could always make it easy on yourself and go to wal-mart or wherever and pick up a cheap usb wireless adapter. Its worth a shot, and if it works you've solved the problem. If it doesn't go return it. Seems like a worthwhile venture to me. Or just get a different router. I keep hearing and reading awful reviews and experiences with Netgear routers. In fact I have a Netgear router my parents didn't want, and its sitting in the closet as a back up router. Don't like Netgear, sure the products look sleek but in my opinion don't work very well.

Last edited by FatGuy on Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:45 am 

FatGuy wrote:
Or you could always make it easy on yourself and go to wal-mart or wherever and pick up a cheap usb wireless adapter. Its worth a shot, and if it works you've solved the problem. If it doesn't go return it. Seems like a worthwhile venture to me.

Thats what I am leaning towards, for the adapter works we connected to several of his neighbors unsecured networks which worked fine. I just figured some of you may have seen this before, and figured a post was worth a shot before we reloaded or spent more money. But yea, I am going to recommend a USB wireless adapter. - Thanks

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:18 pm 

I've had trouble with an HP laptop not connecting to a wireless network because I tried turning on some of the wireless "boost" features on the router. I made the adjustment for my personal laptop (not an HP) and as soon as the HP didn't work I found that turning off the "boost" fixed the problem. Months later I was trying a different router out and when trying to adjust the performance of the router I ran into the same problem with the same fix. The easiest way to check this is to set your router and wireless NIC to their factory defaults.

Good luck with it.

-Evan

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration