Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Unusual TCP/IP settings
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:27 pm 

I was asked to look at a setup today, with what seems to me very unusual network settings.

The system had 2 PCs, a server and a NAS device. I was told that there used to be a "master" computer (as the owner worded it) also in the setup. The owners had just moved into new premises and hadn't yet had the system running. In the process of moving, they had let someone else have the "master" computer.

On connecting everything together, nothing seemed to want to talk to one another. Apparently it all worked OK before, but this was when the "master" computer was connected - they hadn't had it working without it until I looked at it today.

On checking the TCP/IP settings for the LAN on each of the PCs, I found the following:

PC#1 :
Use following IP address: 192.168.2.106
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.2.2
Use DNS: 192.168.2.2

PC#2 :
Use following IP address: 192.168.0.4
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Default gateway <blank>
Use DNS 192.168.0.1

Both PCs were running XP home.

This didn't make any sense to me - two different DNS addresses, the large difference in manually assigned IP addresses and I'm not sure about the default gateway being blank on PC#2.

Could some light be shed on this please? The system was setup by a 'professional', but I wonder if there's something I'm missing or has it been set up incorrectly.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Unusual TCP/IP settings
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:57 pm 

The second pc is set up incorrectly. Its on a different network for some reason. Did the person that set up the network leave any documentation or a network map?. I'm guessing the reason the default gateway is listed as blank now is because the "master" computer is now gone.

With the setup they have with two xp home computers and a server doesn't really make much sense to me. Especially with it set up with manual ip addresses.

I say change both pcs to obtain an ip address automatically and obtain a dns automatically. Reset and reconfigure the router and your in business.

This is the reason I think technicians should write down notes of everything they do. Its especially important to draw up a network map after setting up a network. That way at least you know what you're working with.....

Post Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

More information is necessary to diagnose:
Are these systems connected to the internet? What type of internet connection? What other network devices are connected? Switch? Router?

Once we have the "full picture" we can help you.

Mike

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:13 am 

Thanks for the replies.

As FatGuy says, it doesn't make much sense. I was really just after reassurance that the network had been set up strangely and I wasn't missing something . I'm glad it wasn't just me who thought so! Unfortunately no documentation had been left.

As FatGuy had suggested, I've set up the PCs to obtain an ip address and dns automatically and all is well.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration