Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: 3G and 3G+
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:36 am 

Hi Scott,

At the moment I'm using 3G broadband connection, which is compatible with HSDPA, and it's bandwidth is 3.6Mbps. How is 3G+ different from 3G?

Thanks,

- Kit

Post subject: Re: 3G and 3G+
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:29 am 
Site Admin

3G is a technical term used to describe standards for mobile phones and mobile telecommunications services more officially known as International Mobile Telecommunications-2000 (IMT-2000).

On the other hand, 3G+ is a non-technical marketing term concocted by one or more companies in order to give people the impression that its specific implementation of 3G is somehow superior to those offered by others.

This is similar to how some companies use the term "4G" to describe IEEE 802.16e (WiMax), when WiMax was in fact accepted in 2007 by the ITU as an addition to the IMT-2000 family and is therefore considered to be part of 3G. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:57 am 

Thanks Scott,

My ISP has introduced a USB Internet stick broadband connection that they claim it's 3G+, and more faster. Few month ago, I upgraded from 2G (EDGE) to 3G (HSDPA). I thought using 3G+ needs a newer 3G+ USB stick broadband connection. Is that true?

I've the 19th Edition and the CompTIA A+ 220-701 and 220-702 Cert Guide, though not read them to the end. Is there any info concerning 3G+?

- Kit

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:26 am 
Site Admin

Scott wrote:
...3G+ is a non-technical marketing term concocted by one or more companies in order to give people the impression that its specific implementation of 3G is somehow superior to those offered by others.

It seems like you didn't read all of my previous reply, so I've repeated the relevant section above. In other words there is technically no such thing as "3G+", so in your case it means whatever the company that made it up for marketing purposes says that it is. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:13 am 

Thanks Scott,

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration