Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: internet connection probz
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:57 pm 

when i plug in the RJ 45 cable from my dsl connection am gettin local area connection status, status connected duration 00:15.53 speed 100.0 Mbps but i'm not getting on to the internet wen i use ipconfig /all it display ip address 192.168.0.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0
then wen i use ipconfig /release am getting
the operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation network adapter type 1394 .net adapter

Post subject: Re: internet connection probz
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:10 pm 

the 1394 adaptor is firewire, so ignore anything to do with that!

with ipconfig/all you should get a default gateway?

Normally this is 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 (in your case it seems that is the IP assigned to your machine) 192.168.1.254 or possibly 192.168.0.254

now try entering the default gateway address in your web browser, see what you get, should be a login page for the router so try admin/password admin/admin etc to log in the router.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

Can't really help you until you tell us what type of modem you have (manufacturer and model). A link to the modem manual is even more helpful. Without that information we have no idea what the modem should be doing when you plug it into your system.

Also, it sounds like the status you're getting is from the firewire network rather than your ethernet card. Go to control panel>network connections and make sure you're looking at the status of your ethernet card.

Mike

Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:26 pm 

David McMahon wrote:
now try entering the default gateway address in your web browser, see what you get, should be a login page for the router so try admin/password admin/admin etc to log in the router.

David I don't think loging in to the router would help at this point. I'd suggest he copies and pastes his results from an ipconfig /all. Either that or try resetting the router and/or modem.

Andrew, you could also try calling you ISP. With most if not all packages you get tech support included within your monthly rate.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:24 pm 

I just wanted to know if his router could connect, i.e narrowing fault to his router, modem, or machine (not sure if he is on ADSL or CDSL (Cable DSL).....

Yes I did just make up CDSL! :)

I do agree that he should nag his ISP, after all he all need to be told to reboot the router and hold sometimes!

Andrew, you have rebooted all your kit right? :shock: :oops:

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:19 am 
Site Admin

Follow the troubleshooting steps in the following articles:

If you are running XP, I recommend using the enhanced Network Diagnostics Tool for Windows XP (similar to that included with 7/Vista). Scott.

PS: I deleted the two other topics you started about this very same problem. Please keep posts about the same problem under the original topic.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration