Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: What causes a computer to try booting from a Network?
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:08 am 

Hi Scott,

I've a Dell OptiPlex GX1 Desktop! I set the boot sequence -- Hard drive alone! This has occurred more than thrice! Sometimes the PC restarts automatically especially when Windows Xp pro SP2 shows that famous "Send, Don't Send Error" Dialog box, at other times and most frequently, is when you cold-boot the PC. It displays "Media Test failure"! I noticed that the hard drive was just placed on a certain aluminium like metallic plate, it moved away from it's proper location! Then this incidence will transpire!

The last time, some one was using my PC and it restarted itself automatically! I opened the chassis and tried to place the hard drive in its proper place, but this time it could not work! I noted that there was a 2 wired cable wound together that was supposed to be connected at the end most rare part on the CD_ROM drive( imagine the CD-ROM is facing you - from where you can insert the CD, DVD...)

Well, when I fixed that little cable back in its plug and tried to straighten the ribbon cables (master and Slave), the computer could boot! What might be causing the "Media test failure" and the computer trying to boot from the Network with PXE: and some sort of IP addresses? Thanks, Kit.

Last edited by Kit Emma on Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:51 am 
Site Admin

The "PXE-E61 Media Test Failure" indicates that the system is trying to boot from a network (file server), and the media (network cable) appears to have failed or become disconnected.

This will occur at boot if the following are true:

Boot to LAN is enabled in BIOS Setup.
    A network cable/connection is not present.
    Network Boot is in the boot order before a present boot device.

To resolve this, remove "Boot to LAN" from the list of boot devices in the BIOS Setup. Scott.

PS: PXE stands for Preboot eXecution Environment. PXE provides a basic network mechanism for the BIOS to discover a PXE server on the network, from which a boot image can be can be retrieved.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:53 pm 

Scott wrote:
This will occur at boot if the following are true:

Boot to LAN is enabled in BIOS Setup.
    A network cable/connection is not present.
    Network Boot is in the boot order before a present boot device.

Hi Scott,

Am always amazed at the timely amount of accurate information you have! Wow! Anyhow, Option 1 and Option 3 are disabled! Well, probably option 2, sad to say, the network cable/connection is always present and the RJ-45 plug green LED is always ON and the Network connection icon in the "system tray" is available! How about the system unit pushed;moved! Can't is cause the hard drive to slip away from it place since mine is not well fixed hence the "Media Test failure" and attempts to boot from PXE? (My hard drive is not fully enclosed beneath, it exposes the circuitry). How about the ribbon cables, they appeared crumpled and squeezed between the drives? When I tried to straighten them, and fired-up the system, this time it could boot! For other cases I just tried to place the hard drive in the right position and the system could fire up! Probably I need to fasten it with screws to the chassis!

Post subject: PXE_E61
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:11 am 

Thank you Kit. Your prompt response has removed quite a lot of concern.
I will attempt to follow your guide.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:14 am 

You're most welcome.

-- Kit

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration