Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Sudden loss of file sharing XPPro to XPPro
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:28 am 

Hello Scott

After changing two PC's on my home network to Static IP address's

192.168.1.254 (Router)

192.168.1.100 \\PRIMARY

192.168.1.101 \\FAMILY

Now I can't access either from either, I'm not aware that changing to static IP's would make a change and stop file sharing, but does seem something has changed.

I can ping either from either, so I assume a file permissions error, yet I have not changed any.

Post subject: Re: Sudden loss of file sharing XPPro to XPPro
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

How did you set up the static ip addresses? Did you do it on the PCs or with your router? There are many variables to static ip addresses. If you set them on the PCs did you also put in Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

I'll assume that after making the changes you reset/reboot everything (including the router).

The problem isn't permissions, it is in how (and *where*) you configured the Static IPs. You can configure Static IPs at either the router or client ends, and it is much easier and better to do it centrally at the router vs. individually at each client. When configured at the router it is technically called a DHCP Reservation.

Setting DHCP Reservations (Static IPs) at the router is much simpler because all you need to know is the MAC address of each client you want to assign (and the router will normally show you that). For example, using a D-Link DIR-655 you can set DHCP Reservations in the Setup; Network Settings; Add DHCP Reservation menu. From that page you can assign reservations as well as see and manage any reservations that have been previously assigned. With the IPs reserved this way, each client gets the Static IP address automatically, and no setting changes on the client are required. The only problem with DHCP Reservations is that some routers don't include that capability, in which case I'd recommend upgrading to one that did.

Setting Static IPs at the client end is much more problematic. You have no central point of management, and have to visit each client to see and/or manage the settings. Plus there are many more settings to change, as seen in the following article: Configure a Static IP Address

Although that article references server OS, you can read it as Server 2003 = XP, Server 2008 = Vista, and Server 2008 R2 = Windows 7.

Unfortunately there is one more setting that will need to be made at each client. When you set a Static IP, NetBIOS over TCP/IP is no longer automatically enabled, requiring you to enable it manually. NetBIOS is an API (Application Programming Interface) that provides name management to Windows applications and services such as File and Printer Sharing and the Computer Browser (discovery) service. Without NetBIOS you won't be able to access systems by name on the network, and will have to use their IP addresses directly instead. To fix this in the Network connection properties; TCP/IP Properties; Advanced; WINS tab; NetBIOS setting; change the setting from "Default:" to "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP".

Bottom line: When setting Static IPs, you are much better off setting them at the router (DHCP Reservation) since there they can be centrally managed and no settings will need to be changed on the clients (including those regarding NetBIOS). When setting Static IPs at the clients, in addition to all of the other setting changes you need to make you also need to insure that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled as well. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:47 am 

Hello Scott, it turns out all I needed was a simple reboot of the client PC's :oops:

I use S3 for one and S4 for another and don't often reboot them now, I just used the "Local area connections" dialogue to set the Static IP's and did not set NetBios over TCP/IP, so will look into that.

I hope my router is able to set reserved IP's so will investigate :)

*** Turns out the DHCP Reservation is called Fixed Hosts in my Billion 7800N, also there is more recent firmware for it, lucky me! Gosh the UK Site has different F/W from the US Site!

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration