Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Connecting diffrent router to Westel DSL Gateway
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:21 pm 

Ok Scott here is the situatution. With my Verizon Dsl connection I recevied a Westell Versalink Dsl Gateway. I would like to get a new router and use it instead of this device, which has the dsl modem, router in one device. It would be my understanding that I would,

1. connect verizon device to new router
2. connect router to pc

Go into the configuration of the dsl gateway and disable the firewall, disable dhcp. Keep my existing PPoe connection within the dsl gateway. Go to the new router and set up wireless, security and other settings. DHCP on the new router will just assign an ip address to the dsl/gateway and all other nodes. Am I understanding this correctly?. Please take a look over the manual for my Verizon/Westell Dsl Gateway,

http://www.westell.com/content/products/pdf/030_300444A.pdf

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:01 am 
Site Admin

I recommend you use *both* routers in a nested configuration: viewtopic.php?p=326#326

Router 1 will be your Westell DSL modem/router. Router 2 will be your new router.

With the new router 2 disconnected from the network, attach a PC to it, log in and change the IP address to 192.168.2.1. Also make sure the internet connection type is DHCP, and make sure the operating mode is set to Gateway. The operating mode setting can be found under Setup; Advanced Routing; Operating Mode in a Linksys router.

This will create a non-conflicting network segment, since router 1 (Westell) is pre-set to 192.168.1.1.

Then connect a cable from the Internet port on the new router 2 to port 1 on router 1 (Westell). At this point you have both routers on a single network, in a nested configuration. Any PCs attached to router 1 (Westell) can access the internet and any other devices attached to that router, but will *not* be able to see or access any devices attached to the new router 2. Any PCs attached to the new router 2 can access the internet as well as any other devices attached to *either* router.

Connect your PC to port 1 on the new router 2. Log in to router 1 (192.168.1.1), turn OFF the wireless access point, leave everything else as-is.

Log into router 2 (192.168.2.1), set up the wireless access point, and enjoy. Connect all of your other PCs and devices to router 2, which will be secure.

If you ever have a guest over, and want to give them internet access, log into router 1 and turn on the wireless (set a different SSID and channel than the wireless on router 2). You could set weak security, or no security at all, as anybody on that router will only be able to access the internet, and will be unable to see or access any of the PCs or devices on router 2.

Scott.

Last edited by Scott on Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Thanks!
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:26 pm 

Wow Scott. I had no clue!. Once again you have the solution!. This forum has turned out to be a life saver!. I will continue to purchase every book you put out!. It is hard to believe the information you put on this forum is free!.

Post subject: Thought of Another question
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:09 pm 

Ok this situation made me think of another question. I am thinking of changing to a diffrent dsl provider. I have talked to them on the phone and they do provide a modem only and suggest that you purchase a router of your choice. So if/when I get this service and when I connect the Dsl modem to the router does the router actually see it as a "node" on the network or is it esentially "invisible" and just has the job of DSL modem?. How does this work exactly?.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:58 am 
Site Admin

If you are just going to use the "new" router with a DSL modem instead of another router, then simply install it with default settings. The only thing you might need to change is the Internet Connection Type from DHCP to PPPoE. In that case the modem acts as a bridge between the WAN (internet) and your LAN, and the Router acts as a gateway providing network address translation to manage multiple systems sharing one modem. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration