Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Recommendations on a wifi router?
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:26 pm 

It has been a while since I read you make a recommendation after growing frustrated with the Apple Airport Extreme.

Has anyone gotten simultaneous dual channel for the N protocol up and communicating satisfactorily?

Or a decent 450Mbs communications link?

Whether yes or no, what wifi router(s) are you recommending these days?

Post subject: Re: Recommendations on a wifi router?
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Has anyone gotten simultaneous dual channel for the N protocol up and communicating satisfactorily?... Or a decent 450Mbs communications link?

No and no. <g>

Quote:
...what wifi router(s) are you recommending these days?

For most applications I'm currently recommending the D-Link DIR-655. In conjunction with this I also recommend using a cable or DSL modem with a gigabit Ethernet WAN port.

I recommend avoiding dual-band routers. Also, 450MBps is some what of a myth, since that not only requires a router capable of 3x3:3 (3 transmit antennas, 3 receive antennas, 3 spatial streams) operation, but also requires the use of channel bonding (combining two 20MHz channels), which is not recommended since it can cause interference problems and actually reduce overall performance.

With a 3x3:3 router (few of which I know to exist), the most you can expect without channel bonding is 216.7MBps, and the real world throughput will be less than that. Using a router with a more common 3x3:2 configuration (like the D-Link DIR-655) the best you can achieve without using channel bonding is 144.4MBps, and the real world throughput will be less than that. Scott.

PS: I agree about the Airport Extreme, we tested one and it was a painful experience. Inadequate internal antennas, dual-band operation problems, and no built-in browser based configuration capability (you have to install and run configuration software locally instead of via a browser) were its downfall, and the exhorbitant price was the nail in the coffin...

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration