Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: unusual network setup
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:50 am 

Hello
I have an unusual network setup.
One dlink adsl modem with one ethernet port.
A dlink switch (no. 1) is plugged into that one port.
And another switch (no. 2) plugged into the first switch. Then another switch (no. 3) is plugged into the second switch. There are x3 pcs each plugged into its own switch. So x3 pcs in total and x3 switches. Each pc has its own static ip.

My question. Customer wants to add a wireless laptop and has brought a TP Link wireless router. But he wants me to just plug in the wireless router to one of the switches rather than have everything going through the router.

I plugged an ethernet cable from the laptop to a on the router (not the wlan port) and then an ethernet cable from another port on the router (not wlan port) to the switch. I was able to connect the laptop via the cable to the internet without having to configure anything. I then tried wireless and unsecured it works fine. I added encryption to the router settings and made sure the laptop's wireless encryption was the same (WPA) and it did connect to the internet briefly but when I closed the browser and opened it again the connection was lost to the internet but the laptop was still saying it was connected with WPA but no internet.

I have not configured any static ip against the wireless card on the laptop. Maybe it needs to be a static ip as well. Cable works fine. Or maybe it is the encyption settings that are wrong I have not entered any settings into the router because its only connected to the switch.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: unusual network setup
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:47 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
One dlink adsl modem with one ethernet port.

That is most likely a modem and router combo. As a router, it would include a DHCP server that is capable of assigning IP addresses to multiple connected PCs.

Quote:
Each pc has its own static ip.

The router has a DHCP server that will assign IP addresses automatically. I recommend configuring all of the PCs to dynamic IP, then they will automatically receive non-conflicting IP addresses from the router.

Quote:
Customer wants to add a wireless laptop and has brought a TP Link wireless router. But he wants me to just plug in the wireless router to one of the switches rather than have everything going through the router.

In that case you will want to configure the 2nd (TP-Link) router as an access point. The reasoning here is to turn off the router (DHCP) functionality (thus making it function only as an access point) so all of the PCs are only assigned IPs from the first router. Scott.

Post subject: Re: unusual network setup
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:24 am 

If you have a ADSL connection, how about getting an all-in-one unit?

Means onlly one box to install and configure too

ADSL Wireless Routers

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration