Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: D-Link DIR-655 router and Wireless-N optimization
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:12 pm 

Hi Scott,

I also have the D-Link DIR-655 wireless N router and was curious if you have any recommendations for settings within the router to optimize performance and/or security. For the WLAN I have WPA2/AES security set up with a 63 character random key so I'm not too worried about that aspect of things.

I have it connected to a purchased Motorola SB5100 Cable modem with Comcast as the ISP.

I am accessing it wirelessly via a ThinkPad T400 running Windows 7 Pro x64 with an Intel 5100 AGN adapter (http://www.intel.com/products/wireless/ ... /index.htm) but am not getting a 300Mbps connection, I see a maximum 130Mbps although frequently lower (as shown in Windows connection status display)

Have followed Intel's recommended settings for N connectivity (http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-030709.htm) and also D-Link forum posting (http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=616.0) settings for how to get 300Mbps connection.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
-Paul

Post subject: Re: D-Link DIR-655 router and Wireless-N optimization
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

Assuming you also have a password set on the router itself, that plus the WPA2/AES wireless encryption setting (with a strong key) means that you have the security well covered.

Quote:
...I see a maximum 130Mbps although frequently lower (as shown in Windows connection status display)

300MBps requires a router capable of at least 2x2:2 (2 transmit antennas, 2 receive antennas, 2 spatial streams) operation plus the use of channel bonding (combining two 20MHz channels), which is not recommended since it can cause interference problems and actually reduce overall performance.

When using an access point with a 3x3:2 configuration (like the D-Link DIR-655) the best one can achieve without using channel bonding but with a short GI (Guard Interval) is 144.4MBps. Of course the real world throughput will be less than that.

The Intel 5100 supports 3x3:2 on receive, but only 3x3:1 on transmit, which means that without using channel bonding and with a short GI the best it can achieve is 144.4MBps on recieve and 72.2MBps on transmit. Those would be further limited to 130MBps and 65MBps respectively if using the default (longer) Guard Interval.

Bottom line: For maximum overall performance I recommend setting 20MHz (standard) channel width combined with a short GI. To do this, on the access point (router) under Wireless Network Settings, set the Channel Width to 20MHz. Then under Advanced Wireless Settings, place a check mark to enable Short GI.

On the adapter side I recommend leaving all settings to default except for Power Management, which I recommend manually setting to "Highest" (maximum performance, maximum power consumption).

In my experience these settings will allow for the best overall performance under most conditions, both locally and when you are a guest on another network. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:41 pm 

Thanks for the info Scott, yes, I always set a password to the router web interface usually as the first thing I change.

Wow, the N technology is pretty complicated, didn't realize the complexities inherent in the design, add to that the marketing claims made by the hardware manufacturers and you have people who don't really fully understand the techology, like me wondering why they can't reach the claimed speeds.

Do you have a recommended method to test the wireless throughput using different settings? I see the smallnetbuilder site you linked to recommended this Windows tool http://www.totusoft.com/lanspeed2.html among some other methods.

Thanks again and wondering if you will be on Computer America again anytime soon?

-P

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Do you have a recommended method to test the wireless throughput using different settings?

I've tried many different free tools and have yet to find something I can universally recommend. However I have not tried the tool mentioned on that site. Let me know what you think if you try it.

In the meantime, what I've done is to simply time file transfers as described here.

Quote:
...wondering if you will be on Computer America again anytime soon?

There's nothing scheduled at the moment. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:18 pm 

Thank you Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration