Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: New Router Displays Incorect Mac Address
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:59 am 

I just got a new router. Everything is working fine except on the status section of my web interface of the router it displays an incorrect MAC for the router itself. It matches the sticker on the router up to the last hexidecimal letter which is a D on the box and the bottom of the actual router, but the web interface status pages reports an E. What is going on here?.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:23 am 
Site Admin

Computers would be infallible if only they weren't designed and built by people. <g>

Seriously though, it sounds like somebody on the assembly line switched boxes (or stickers) with the one in front of it. Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:43 am 

Thanks Scott. I had asked my new ISP about this and they had no clue, also asked SMC technical support. I talked to an Indian guy at SMC with an acent so thick I could hardly understand him. He told me he would get back to me in 2 business days. Luckily I have your help!. Anyway another question, with my new ISP I have ADSL2. It is not a PPoE connection, they use the MAC address of your computer and/or router. So at first I cloned the MAC address from the pc to the router. I gave them that MAC and it worked fine. The thing is when I called in about the router not displaying the correct mac address the guy wanted the MAC from my router so he could "add it to the list"...Then he asked me how many pcs on my network and said something to the effect of "You shouldn't give me so many mac addresses because there is a limit of 5!"..He also said he saw some mac addresses he didn't recognize supposedly from me, and I said they were my wireless pcs, at which point he told me about the limit of 5 Mac addresses again. What is with that?. After the fact that I pay for service I should be able to connect as many pcs as I want on my network correct?. Its the router that will give me out a scope of IP's I can use anyway.....So my ISP can see all the pcs that I have on my network?. What would they do if I did have more than 5 Mac addresses?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

They can indeed limit you to whatever it says in the contract (read the fine print), which should also say what they can or might do if you exceed those limits.

The important thing to know is that if you have a router, and have it properly connected and configured (default settings in most cases), the cable or DSL provider cannot "see" any other devices on your network except the router since it acts as a NAT (Network Address Translation) firewall.

Because of this I would leave the router set to its default MAC address, and *not* clone that of any other device. Then I would connect the modem directly to the router (via the router's WAN port), and only give the cable/DSL provider the MAC address of that router. Since the cable/DSL provider can't "see" any other devices on the network, the less information you provide after that the better.

You know: Silence is golden, loose lips sink ships, and all that jazz... <g> Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:45 pm 

The thing is, I already told them both the Mac of my Dell(Wired pc that is connected to router) and also the Mac Address of the router. So when they tech support rep told me he saw some other mac addresses that he didn't recognize, he was basically bs'ing me?....Anyway, any advice at this point?. I mean I could call tech support and tell them to only keep the Mac address of my router in their records but I'm not sure how that would turn out?. What do you think?. Thanks again.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

I'd say reset the router to use its default MAC, and that's about it. There shouldn't be any further need to talk to the provider, unless you need to give them the MAC address of the router. Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:44 pm 

Ok Scott I called the provider and gave them the correct MAC address of the router, and set the router for its own MAC instead of cloning the pcs mac. Thanks for all your help...By the way, still waiting on Amazon to ship me your new book..October?

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration