Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Can a LAN card cause internet speed problems using ADSL?
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:19 pm 

Hi Scott,

I have a strange problem regarding my internet download speed. I have contacted my ISP and they have made several adjustments. After doing this and re-booting the modem, The speed is about what it should be , around 14Mbps. Then, after a while, if I turn off my computer, or even leave it on for a while then come back, the speed drops. My ISP tech support recommended I upgrade the modems firmware. Before I do this and,as an experiment, I connected my laptop to the modem and the speed was very fast, and at the right speed, but my desktop is going really slow again. I am wondering if it could be the LAN card I have in my desktop (10/100Mbpsf ast ethernet ) that may have something to do with this. I also thought it could be a driver issue with this card. I am using Windows XP home SP3. My modem is a Netgear DG843GV. I would really appreciate any help with this. Thank you.
Regards

Paul

Post subject: Re: Can a LAN card cause internet speed problems using ADSL?
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

Without knowing anything specific about your ISP, your plan (provisioned speeds), how you are measuring the speeds, what the speed apparently drops to, your modem/router, etc. I'm going to say this behavior sounds pretty much normal. You could try changing to a different LAN card (and a different cable), but I doubt that will make any difference. The truth is there are many different factors that determine what speeds you might see on a specific system, and depending on these factors speeds can vary by quite a bit, even on the same system. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:48 pm 

Hi Scott

I am using the ISP's download speed test . http://www.tpg.com.au/downloads/ I am now getting a transfer rate of between 1.54-1.75Mbps where before I was getting around 737kbps. This however can drop back to the lower speed at any time without warning on my desktop, but if I connect my laptop to the same modem I will get a consistent high speeed. On my netgear modem I am getting a DownStream Connection Speed of 19684 kbps and an UpStream Connection Speed of 900 kbps .

Paul

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

I recommend using a real speedtest like http://speedtest.net. Here are my current results using that test: Image

Note that slower systems often benchmark at lower speeds due to excessive software overhead or Windows "rot", in which case a reload may help. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:57 pm 

Hi Scott,

Many thanks for the speed test link. I got the following

Download: 14.47Mbps Upload : 0.74Mbps Ping: 10ms. Grade B

Its not the fastest, but considering I was only getting 4.9Mbps before, its a big improvement. Thanks also for the advice about doing a re-load.

Regards

Paul

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration