Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Speed of my wireless connection
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:58 pm 

I have an interesting question. First some history. On Thursday the 27th of September 07, yesterday I finally got my speedy internet DSL connection(up to 20Mbps is what I pay for). Anyway, I talked to tech support and they had me go to a certain website where I can test the speed, and I got 17685Kbps, which he said is what I should expect. Today I tried the same speed test website but on my wireless laptop, and only got something like 4.8 Mbps. As you know though I have been having intermitent problems with my wireless connection on my laptop. The question is though, how come the speed test results are so much different on the wireless laptop?. It doesn't seem any slower at all than my wired connection....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

What exact test were you running? My guess is that overhead and turn-around latency on the wireless connection are conspiring to make the benchmark show a slower speed. It might depend on how the benchmark is designed. As a test, time how long it takes to copy 1GB worth of files from your PC to another over the network, both wired and wireless. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration