Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Linksys WRT54G V1.0 Wireless-G Router with Parabolic Antenna
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:32 pm 

Hi Scott,

Sorry to be asking these questions about networks, but I haven't read "Upgrading and Repairing Networks" yet.

I have a Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G router Version 1 which was given to me.

There is this firmware called DD-WRT which can be installed to it to make it into a wireless repeater. I was thinking about using it in conjunction with a parabolic reflector on top of my van to pick up public networks.

I suspect it won't work. It has two antennas. I think I would need two antennas for it. Am I right?

Why does this Wireless-G router have two antennas?

Last edited by unckybob on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:56 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT54GS with Parabolic Antenna
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

It has two antennas for diversity. The unit will internally and automatically switch between them to use whichever one has the best signal. I think you can connect only one parabolic antenna, as I believe the DD-WRT firmware allows you to choose which antenna port is active. Scott.

Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT54GS with Parabolic Antenna?
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:53 pm 

Thanks Scott. I'll let you know how it works out.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:15 pm 

As it turned out the router already had a version of DD-WRT already installed on it. At this thread below note 1 I learned the general procedure of upgrading the firmware.

I searched eBay for a Linksys WRT54G V1.0 with DD-WRT installed on it. I found a vendor who was very helpful and even suggested a build of firmware to use and provided me with tutorials on how to configure the firmware.

You were right about using only one antenna. Under the "Wireless" > "Advanced Settings" you can choose which antenna you want to use. You can even choose one antenna for receiving and the other for transmitting.

Do you think you could attach two parabolic antennas pointed in different directions to make a really long distance repeater?

I've heard that there is a lot of power loss in the cables that attach to the antennas. I'm thinking about mounting the router right next to the focal point of the antenna and just using short adapters to connect it. Do you see anything wrong with that?

Last edited by unckybob on Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:56 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Do you think you could attach two parabolic antennas pointed in different directions to make a really long distance repeater?

Only if both can simultaneously be used for transmitting and receiving.

Quote:
I've heard that there is a lot of power loss in the cables that attach to the antennas. I'm thinking about mounting the router right next to the focal point of the antenna and just using short adapters to connect it. Do you see anything wrong with that?

That would likely interfere with the signal, plus the unit would be quickly damaged by the elements. I would recommend using a weatherproof enclosure with a short cable to the antenna. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration