Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: wireless access point
 Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:10 pm 

Hello
I have an Edimax wireless router which I have my cable modem plugged into. I want to extend the wireless range so I purchased an Edimax wireless range extender/access point.
I can wirelessly connect my laptop to the AP and connect to the internet but the access point must be connected by cable to the router or I can't get the internet. Both the access point and the router are set to AP mode.

Perhaps the access point can only work if connectly by cable to the router. I thought it could connect wirelessley to the router so I can put it further away from my router and closer to my laptop.
The laptop settings are:-
IP 192.168.2.10
SN 255.255.255.0
GW 192.168.2.20 (this is my router's gateway address)
DNS 192.168.2.20 (this is my router's gateway address)

The access point's IP address is 192.168.2.1 and is configured as AP mode.
I want my Access point to be able to connect to the router wirelessly and my laptop to connect to the Access point and use the internet.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: wireless access point
 Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

An access point has to be wired to the network, however a range extender will receive and retransmit the signal wirelessly, thus extending the range with no wired connection required. I recommend you set the device as a range extender for it to accomplish what you want. Scott.

Post subject: Re: wireless access point
 Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:05 am 

Hello
Yes that worked. Thanks

I set the AP to Universal Repeating mode then I clicked the site survey button and saw my router's SSID so I then clicked connect. I then restarted the AP then unplugged it from the router and refreshed the wireless on the laptop and it connected!
I see I can use the laptop like this with DHCP and I don't need to configure a static IP for the laptop.

The range of the AP is 300m and the range of the router is 300m also, if I plug the AP into a power point 300m away from the router, and using universal repeating mode, then I plug in a laptop 300m away from the AP device I should still be able to get the internet, although the signal will probably be weak. But that extends my wireless internet (from the router) to 600m.

Thanks
Ford

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration