Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Connection was reset error
 Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:32 pm 

Scott, I have been getting this "Connection was reset" error message when trying to log onto different sites. Some websites work fine, but others just give this error. I have tried disabling Avast! and clearing out the internet cache. I googled the problem but nothing I've found has worked. Was wondering if you have any ideas? Thanks

I'm using Windows 7 x64 and the problem is effecting not just Firefox, but Chrome and IE too.

Post subject: Re: Connection was reset error
 Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

I suspect a problem with any of the network hardware between your system and the internet. This could include any cables, switches, routers or modems. I would start with the simplest things and work towards the more complex, meaning I'd probably try replacing cables, switches, routers and modems in that order. Let me know what you find, Scott.

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:40 am 

Scott, I called Brighthouse (ISP) and they was able to reset/fix the modem. That fixed the problem on my desktop, but I was still having the problem on the notebook. I then called Belkin, per the Brighthouse tech, and after an hour + was told it was the modem.

I do have a second desktop connected to this network and it is ok. I'm not having any problems with it anymore either. At this point the problem is only associated with the notebook. So I'm thinking it must be a settings issue with it and not a network issue. I did clear the cache and flush the dns. The only sites I really use that's affected are xbitlabs.com and espn.ocm. Actually, I really don't care about espn, it's just another example.

Any ideas of why I can't connect to these websites on the notebook, but can on the two desktops???

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:21 am 
Site Admin

What happens when you connect the laptop to the network using the same physical connection as one of the desktops? Scott.

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:11 pm 

I did connect the laptop directly to the modem by passing the router, and did have an internet connection, but could not get some of those websites to open. Very weird. This is why I was wondering if it could be just something with the laptop.

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

It could be malware on the laptop, does the problem happen when booting from a known-good OS (i.e. the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows or one of the many Linux based LiveCDs)? Scott.

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:34 pm 

I ran combofix, tdsskiller, malwarebytes, spybot, avast and a few other programs looking for malware/viruses, it didn't find much. I haven't booted from the UBCD, but I will.

Now my primary desktop is having problems with x-bitlabs again. All other websites are ok, except x-bitlabs.

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

If it's only one or two sites that exhibit the problem, it might actually be the fault of the sites and not your system. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:40 pm 

I can access some of these sites at work and on other computers, so I think it's just my connection.

Today I still couldn't get xbitlabs.com to work, but then tonight, for the first time in a long time, it began working! I think it's just my Brighthouse crappy connection. I still find some sites that display the "Connection was reset error", but most work. I think it's just Brighthouse or maybe the modem they gave me.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:40 pm 

Anyway thanks Scott for the help.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:31 pm 

Scott, it seems I may have found the problem. I installed peerblock a few weeks ago and it runs automatically at boot up. I total forgot about it, and for whatever reason, never thought about it. With it turned off, I have no problems with any of my websites now.

Just wanted to let you know.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

Ahh, so it *was* malware after all. <g> In other words, another example of so-called "anti"-malware software causing more problems then they solve. Thanks for letting us know the culprit. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration