Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: VoIP and Faxes
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:40 pm 

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Hi Scott!

I was not sure which forum to put this question in, but as all of my faxes are sent from my laptop, I decided to put it here. Here is the situation...

I have heard a lot about the Magic Jack device. It was of great interest to me but I did not initially purchase it for two reasons: (1.) the computer had to be on continually to use the telephone (i.e. send and receive calls), and, (2.) I would no longer be able to send faxes over the telephone line. With the new Magic Jack, the first problem is solved, since it incorporates a miniaturized computer in the device. However the second problem remains, so here are my questions...

1. I have heard about fax servers, but I do not understand how they work. If I wanted to send a fax, would I send it to a fax server as an attachment to an e-mail, which the server would detach and covert into a fax that it would then send to a recipient's fax machine? What about the other way around... In order to receive a fax, would an individual send the fax to the fax server, which in turn would convert it to an e-mail attachment that it would then send to me?

2. Are there free fax servers or do they all have subscription fees?

3. How reliable are fax servers?

I suspect that, in time, faxes will be replaced by e-mail everywhere, but as business people are still using faxes, I still need the ability to send and receive them. If there is a way to do this without interfering with the VoIP facility of the Magic Jack, I would spring for the new Magic Jack, which would cut my telephone fees nearly in half (i.e. on our telephone bill, about half pays for the telephone, and the other half pays for the internet service).

Thanks in advance for any information you can pass along in this regard!

Paul

Post subject: Re: VoIP and Faxes
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:37 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I have heard about fax servers, but I do not understand how they work.

In general they work via a fax server program running on the server, which communicates with fax client software running on each workstation. Because of the expense, fax server software is normally intended for business and not home use. One of the least expensive seems to be the Snappy Fax server.

There are also online fax services that send and receive faxes via email (modem and phone line not required) such as FaxZero and eFax. Some (like FaxZero) have limited free options that are ad-supported.

If your PC has a faxmodem with an analog telephone line connection, then you can use the free fax software built-in to some versions of Windows such as Windows XP (all editions), Vista (Business, Ultimate or Enterprise editions only) and Windows 7 (all editions).

Quote:
How reliable are fax servers?

I don't know, since I haven't used any. If you try one, let me know how well it works. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration