Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Parabolic Antenna Mounting Hardware
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:11 pm 

Hi Scott-

I have been working on this problem for some time. Normally I wouldn't take this problem to you because it's not exactly up your ally. It has to do with some antenna mounting hardware. If you can give me any direction at all with this thing, I'd really appreciate it.

I've been working on mounting a parabolic WiFi antenna on my van. It's a high gain setup using a parabolic antenna in conjunction with a BiQuad receiver. The antenna can be mounted pretty easily on a one inch piece of pipe.

What I want to do is orient a piece of pipe vertically. I can connect a piece of pipe to the van nearly vertically, but I can't get it quite vertically all the time. If the van isn't parked flat, the pipe won't be quite vertially.

What I need is some way to mount a pipe vertically from another piece of pipe that isn't quite vertical itself.

What I propose to do is use something I call an "Antenna Knuckle". I drew some pictures of it to show you what I mean.

The first picture is of two identical pieces held together by a bolt (not drawn in). The second picture is a more detailed drawing of one of the pieces. The idea is to stick the cylindrical pieces into the pipe. Then the two spherical pieces can be rotated so that the upper pipe will be nearly vertical. Then the bolt will be tightened down. The ridges in the inner halves of the spherical pieces will keep them from slipping. That way the pipes won't move relative to each other.

I showed a machinist these pictures and he said this kind of thing is called a "knuckle". You may have seen them on the car radio antennas in automotive stores. The spherical portion of the knuckles you see in the stores is usually not over one inch in diameter.

The parabolic antenna is pretty heavy so I think I need a knuckle of at least three inches in diameter.

Do you know of such a thing or do you know anyone who deals in such "antenna mounting hardware"?

Post subject: Re: Parabolic Antenna Mounting Hardware
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:54 pm 
Site Admin

You can find what you're looking for in this book, which is the ultimate guide to building and mounting antennas of all types: http://www.arrl.org/shop/ARRL-Antenna-B ... er-Edition

Here are some commercial mounts that may be useful: http://www.blueskymast.com/index.php/ac ... d-brackets

The amateur radio marketplace should have many other options to choose from as well. You may want to attend a local Hamfest to see products and solutions in person before you build or buy: http://www.arrl.org/hamfests-and-conventions-calendar

Let me know what you end up using and how well it works out. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:55 pm 

Scott, this might be off subject, but are you into Ham radio too?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

I was into shortwave and Amateur radio many years ago (mid to late '70s) and around that time I even had morse code down well enough to pass the Technician class license, but I wanted to go for the General class license at a minimum. I didn't keep up on the code practice so unfortunately I never got either. <g> Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration