Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Static IP changes
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:51 am 

Hello
I have had an issue with Vista Business SP 2 I had assigned a static IP address and all was good until I updated the network card driver and each time I restarted the computer the default gateway disappears in the TCP/IP settings in the network area of the computer. I decided to assign a DHCP address against the computer's MAC Address in the router.
That worked But I want to change back to a static IP. I unassigned the MAC address in the router against the DHCP IP address in the router's settings and I setup the static IP address 192.168.1.7 on the computer but when I clicked OK in the TCP/IP window the IP address changes to something else. When I restart the computer I don't lose the gateway address anymore and I did reenter the IP address I wanted and all is good. It appears to be working but I cannot remotely connect to the computer with RDP. I deleted and reset up the portforwarding in the router using the same port numbers as before but I still can't connect to the pc. I restarted the router but it didn't fix the issue. I also can't ping the computer's IP address from another machine on the same network. I think there is still a problem with the TCP/IP on the vista machine left over when I had the first issue of it losing the default gateway settings.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Static IP changes
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Static IPs should *only* be set at the router, as that is the place of central control. I do not recommend setting static IPs on the client (in Windows), clients should always be set to obtain IP and DNS dynamically. With the router managing all IP addresses (both dynamic and static), conflicts or problems are much less likely to occur.

After resetting Windows to obtain IP and DNS dynamically, to set a static IP for a given client on your router follow the instructions that go with it. For example if you are using a D-Link DIR-655 you would set a static IP on the Network Settings page under "ADD DHCP RESERVATION".

If after setting things up this way you still can't ping or connect via Remote Desktop, make sure you have all firewalls on the systems turned off. Note that port forwarding should not be required as well. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:28 pm 

Hello Scott
I wanted to put it back to static because while RDP was working sometimes I would get RDP errors in the event viewer since changing the computer to a dynamic IP address ie. reserving a DHCP address in the router. I think from a windows point of view RDP works best when the computer has a static IP address assigned? As well as errors in the event viewer sometimes the remote pc would freeze. I wasn't getting that issue when the computer was assigned a static ip. I could be completely wrong of course in suggesting that RDP works better when windows has a static IP assigned. And to assign ports against an IP address is that not more secure? I'll try your firewall suggestion.
Ford

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

I don't have any issues with RDP on a local LAN using dynamic IP, RDP works fine for me using just the computer name. On remote LANs I use a Hamachi to establish a VPN, then I can also RDP to any of the systems on the remote LAN using just the computer names as well. But if you want static IP addresses that is fine, just make sure you set them centrally via the router and not independently on each client. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:10 pm 

Hello Scott
Thanks for your suggestions.
I would like to resolve the TCP/IP issue first though.
I managed to set a static ip address on the computer and it is working but I still have a problem.
In the netword adapter tcp/ip settings area in the computerI set a static ip address of 192.168.1.7 but the IP address keeps changing to 192.168.1.8 but when I run ipconfig /all the ip address says 192.168.1.7 even though the TCP/IP window says 192.168.1.8. I can set the ports against 192.168.1.7 in the router and everything is actually working but there is still an issue with the TCP/IP window showing the wrong ip address. But I'm not losing the gateway address anymore.
Thanks

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

I've never seen that before, but I can say you wouldn't have that problem if you follow my recommendation to set the static IP address in the router. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:54 pm 

Hello Scott.
Yes agreed and I haven't seen it myself either. I'm not sure if the router has the ability to reserve more than one IP address in the DHCP range.
Anyway as it turns out I went into the device manager and uninstalled the network driver completely and restarted the machine I then installed the lastest driver and now issue is resolved. IPconfig now reports the same static IP as the network properties window and I'm not losing the Default gateway address on restart anymore.
I'll keep your suggestions in mind for future applications.
Thanks
Ford

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:10 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting, I wouldn't have suspected the driver. Thanks for letting me know the solution, Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:49 am 

Hello
While that did fix the issue, I think maybe that rather the registry was corrupted.
Uninstalling the network device from the device manager removed the registry folders and reinstalling it with the updated driver put everything back nice.

Ford.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:52 pm 

I wonder if resetting the Internet Protocol would have accomplished exactly that.

Evan

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration