Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Range Extender signal too strong
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:04 pm 

Scott,
I have a router http://www.trendnet.com/products/prodde ... TEW-652BRP that works great with 3 wireless laptops in the house. We upgraded our Dish Satellite to stream Pandora and other sites. The wireless adapter Dish provided doesn't get the signal strong enough. I bought this http://support.netgear.com/product/WN2000RPTv2 to boost the signal. It boosted the signal alright! It's so strong that we can't go online now. I turned it off and we're fine. I have the extender set about 50 ft from the router. Would another wireless router/AP be a better option?
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Range Extender signal too strong
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:30 am 
Site Admin

I would just use your previous TRENDnet router as a wireless access point. To do this first turn off the wireless functionality in the satellite router, then connect the TRENDnet router to one of the wired LAN ports on the satellite router, then log into the TRENDnet router at 192.168.10.1 and turn off the DHCP server (which is the router functionality) and set the wireless up as you like. This will turn it into a pure wireless access point, leaving the router functionality to the router provided by the satellite service. Make sure the 192.168.10.1 IP address of the TRENDnet access point doesn't conflict with your satellite router, if it does you'll need to change the address of one or the other.

After the TRENDnet router is configured solely as a wireless access point your wireless functionality and performance should be as it was before when it was both a router and access point combo. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration