Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Modem Keeps Dropping Wifi Signal
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:31 pm 

Hi Scott and everyone,

I have a Comcast Xfinity wifi modem (also have cable and digital phone through Comcast Xfinity). My wife and I have matching HP DV6 laptops that connect via wifi to our network. I also have an Ethernet-connected iMac.

Whenever we're both surfing the 'Web, if she closes the lid on her HP laptop or if I do, the wifi connection instantly crashes.

Doing some research, I've seen people blaming the 'Sleep' function on their PCs and Macs, so I set my laptop to hibernate, but the issue still occurs. My only other option is to try setting the laptops to never sleep or hiberate when the lid is closed.

It seems that the issue occurs whether I or she has a browser open when we shut the lid or not.

I haven't contacted Comcast yet, because I seriously doubt they will do anything, and, if they try anything, they may very easily make the issue worse.

Thanks in advance!

David

Post subject: Re: Modem Keeps Dropping Wifi Signal
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:47 pm 

Quick update...

I tried setting mine and my wife's laptops to "Do Nothing" when the lid is closed, and that seems to have resolved the issue.

I still have to find out what is actually causing it and whether there's a permanent fix for it other than turning off sleep/hibernate.

Post subject: Re: Modem Keeps Dropping Wifi Signal
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

You should be able to suspend or hibernate each system without it affecting the wireless connection of the other.

I would first recommend resetting the router/access point. To do this, unplug power from the unit and if it has an internal battery then remove the battery for a minute or so. Then reinstall the battery and reconnect the power.

I also recommend installing the latest drivers for the wireless network adapters in your system. If they are Intel adapters you can get the latest driver here.

Finally, another very common issue causing wireless disconnection problems stems from power management. Frequent disconnections can often occur when the adapter is configured for aggressive power savings (especially when on battery power). I recommend changing the power management settings for the wireless network adapter to "Maximum Performance" (or minimum power savings) for both AC and battery operation. This may reduce battery life slightly but I'll happily trade that for a stable connection.

Let me know if any of this corrects the problem. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration