Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: VPN vs. RDP to Terminal Server
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:34 pm 

Why is VPN so much slower than RDP to a Terminal Server?

Evan

Post subject: Re: VPN vs. RDP to Terminal Server
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

A VPN is an extension of a private network connection over a public network (e.g. the internet). RDP provides a graphical interface to connect to and control a Windows computer over a network. One can use RDP both locally as well as remotely via a VPN.

When using RDP locally the interface runs over the local network at up to gigabit speed, however when connecting through a VPN the speeds are dictated by the lowest connection speeds at each end, which are ususually the upload speeds.

Where I live Comcast has recently doubled connection speeds, which (if used at both ends) will dramatically improve the RDP experience over a VPN. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:23 pm 

Quote:
...however when connecting through a VPN the speeds are dictated by the lowest connection speeds at each end, which are ususually the upload speeds.
I didn't think about the upload speeds, that makes a huge difference.

Wouldn't the lowest connection speed between the points be the bottleneck? or is that typically at one of the two endpoints instead of the connections on the internet? Basically the ISP's network and other routes have upload speeds greater than a typical's end connection's upload speed?

Evan

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:08 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Wouldn't the lowest connection speed between the points be the bottleneck?

For a remote desktop connection the primary bottleneck would be the upload speed on the host (server). For example if I'm on the Comcast Extreme 105/20 service (105Mbps download, 20Mbps upload) and I establish a remote desktop connection to a host that is on the Comcast Economy service (1.5Mbps download, 0.385Mbps upload), then the desktop I see will be coming to me at no faster (and probably somewhat slower) than 0.385Mbps. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:23 am 

I realized that I didn't word this topic and question the way I meant. The info has helped though and helped me dig around to try and straighten it out in my head.

I should have given an example of what I'm saw and rephrase the question. I have a client who is traveling and just got a new portable HP All-In-One printer (HP 150 specifically) so said client could print emails on the road and also scan docs and email them. Said client's office uses an Exchange Server for Outlook but it isn't hosted offsite so the two options for using email were to use a VPN connection (which turned out to be to slow for said client) or Remote Desktop Connection (not RDP...that was my bad) to the Terminal Server.

That is why I was wondering why the VPN was so much slower. I never meant to ask about using "RDP" over a local LAN vs VPN. It was suppose to be using VPN to use Outlook (Exchange and most other software running from servers at the office) vs. using RDC to connect to the same servers and use the same resources. All of this was using a Verizon MiFi hotspot. Is a major factor that RDC is just transmitting pictures of what the remote machine is doing whereas with a VPN much more data is actually having to be transmitted? This would also explain why the printing via Printer Redirection in RDC and the uploading of scanned documents (saved on the local laptop) to Outlook on the Terminal Server is so slow (upload speeds)?

Evan

Post Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:35 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Is a major factor that RDC is just transmitting pictures of what the remote machine is doing whereas with a VPN much more data is actually having to be transmitted?

Exactly. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration