[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs Forum • View topic - How can I install wireless connections to 2 or 3 wired PCs?
Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: How can I install wireless connections to 2 or 3 wired PCs?
 Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:20 am 

Hi,
I have the following:
1. Dell Optiplex 780 Windows XP PRO SP3
2. Dell Dimension E520 Windows XP HOME SP3
3. DELL Vostra Laptop Windows XP PRO SP3
4. Acer Laptop Windows 7
5. (HP PAVILION WIN XP SP2) - likely I won't try this one.

Router: D-LINK DIR-655

1, 2, and 5 are wired to the router.
The Vostra laptop is wireless.
(I do not know about the Acer)
I want them all to use the wireless connection since I want to share ONE printer.
I do not want them networked (i.e. configured to a network) just physically networked.

The desktops do not have a wireless network connection icon in control panel; the laptops do.

I just tried to add wireless to the E520 but I cannot understand what to do with the flash drive.
Should I use the flash drive on the Vostra laptop? It already has wireless?
How do I proceed?

Post subject: Re: How can I install wireless connections to 2 or 3 wired P
 Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:35 am 
Site Admin

I always recommend using a wired connection where possible, especially for desktop systems that normally do not include wireless network adapters. Once you run out of wired ports on your existing router, in order to add wired connections to your network you will need a switch like the .

If you cannot connect a desktop via a wired connection, then you can add a wireless network adapter. Several different types are available but I normally recommend since they can easily be installed and/or moved from one system to another. Once you've purchased a wireless adapter, merely follow the instructions to set it up to connect to your existing wireless access point/router (D-LINK DIR-655).

All of the Dell Vostro laptops included wireless network adapters. See the Dell documentation for your system for the instructions to set up the built-in wireless network adapter to connect to your D-LINK DIR-655 access point/router.

Once all of your systems are connected to your network via either a wired or wireless connection they can use any shared folders or printers. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:35 pm 

Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:03 pm 

Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration