Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: How can I install wireless connections to 2 or 3 wired PCs?
 Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:20 am 

Hi,
I have the following:
1. Dell Optiplex 780 Windows XP PRO SP3
2. Dell Dimension E520 Windows XP HOME SP3
3. DELL Vostra Laptop Windows XP PRO SP3
4. Acer Laptop Windows 7
5. (HP PAVILION WIN XP SP2) - likely I won't try this one.

Router: D-LINK DIR-655

1, 2, and 5 are wired to the router.
The Vostra laptop is wireless.
(I do not know about the Acer)
I want them all to use the wireless connection since I want to share ONE printer.
I do not want them networked (i.e. configured to a network) just physically networked.

The desktops do not have a wireless network connection icon in control panel; the laptops do.

I just tried to add wireless to the E520 but I cannot understand what to do with the flash drive.
Should I use the flash drive on the Vostra laptop? It already has wireless?
How do I proceed?

Post subject: Re: How can I install wireless connections to 2 or 3 wired P
 Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:35 am 
Site Admin

I always recommend using a wired connection where possible, especially for desktop systems that normally do not include wireless network adapters. Once you run out of wired ports on your existing router, in order to add wired connections to your network you will need a switch like the Trendnet TEG-S580G.

If you cannot connect a desktop via a wired connection, then you can add a wireless network adapter. Several different types are available but I normally recommend external USB models since they can easily be installed and/or moved from one system to another. Once you've purchased a wireless adapter, merely follow the instructions to set it up to connect to your existing wireless access point/router (D-LINK DIR-655).

All of the Dell Vostro laptops included wireless network adapters. See the Dell documentation for your system for the instructions to set up the built-in wireless network adapter to connect to your D-LINK DIR-655 access point/router.

Once all of your systems are connected to your network via either a wired or wireless connection they can use any shared folders or printers. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:35 pm 

Thanks for replying.
The printer is an Epson WF-2540

Scott wrote:
I always recommend using a wired connection where possible, especially for desktop systems that normally do not include wireless network adapters.

<snip>
Quote:
All of the Dell Vostro laptops included wireless network adapters. See the Dell documentation for your system for the instructions to set up the built-in wireless network adapter to connect to your D-LINK DIR-655 access point/router.

I have it wireless and the printer wireless (for the vostra LT)

I don't seem to have instructions for the router.
There is only a free USB port. The Ethernet port is "in use" by the Ethernet connection from the modem.

Is it possible to have the same printer be wireless for the laptops, and Ethernet for the desktops?

Quote:
Once all of your systems are connected to your network via either a wired or wireless connection they can use any shared folders or printers. Scott.

I don't want the folders shared. All I want to share is the printer.
Is this possible without configuring a network?

Thanks again
Tanya

Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I don't seem to have instructions for the router.

You can get them from D-LINK.

Quote:
There is only a free USB port. The Ethernet port is "in use" by the Ethernet connection from the modem.

You currently have only 4 wired network connections on the back of that router. You will have a net gain of 6 more connections if you buy the switch I recommended in my last post. Set the switch under your router, run a short (1' or so) ethernet cable from any port on the router (1-4) to any port on the switch (1-8). Then you can use any of the remaining 3 ports on the router and 7 ports on the switch for any other wired network connections.

Quote:
Is it possible to have the same printer be wireless for the laptops, and Ethernet for the desktops?

Yes, connect the printer via USB to any one of your desktop systems (turn off the printer's own wireless function), then share it on the network. After that, any other system on your network (whether connected via wired or wireless) will be able to print to the shared printer.

Quote:

You already have a network. Any devices currently connected to your DIR-655 (wired or wireless) are already on your network, and you can easily add more. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:03 pm 

Hi and thanks

Scott wrote:
You currently have only 4 wired network connections on the back of that router. You will have a net gain of 6 more connections if you buy the switch I recommended in my last post. Set the switch under your router, run a short (1' or so) ethernet cable from any port on the router (1-4) to any port on the switch (1-8). Then you can use any of the remaining 3 ports on the router and 7 ports on the switch for any other wired network connections.

There is 1 available port (I'm holding off on the switch for now ...)
Quote:

Quote:
Yes, connect the printer via USB to any one of your desktop systems (turn off the printer's own wireless function), then share it on the network. After that, any other system on your network (whether connected via wired or wireless) will be able to print to the shared printer.

I will try that

Quote:
Quote:
You already have a network. Any devices currently connected to your DIR-655 (wired or wireless) are already on your network, and you can easily add more. Scott.

I have not been having much luck with this. The printers (wireless) are EXTREMELY slow.

One of the wired PCs stopped connecting – Had to reset the router.

Is there any reason NOT to have a network (I.E. to have them separate)
I did not want to have them "communicate" to avoid problems (i.e. not connecting etc.) but this occurred anyway.

I got your book it is very good.

Thanks
Tanya

Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I have not been having much luck with this. The printers (wireless) are EXTREMELY slow.

It will be much faster if you turn off the wireless functionality in the printer, connect it to one of your systems via USB, then share the printer on your network. After that any system on your network whether it is wired or wireless will be able to use the shared printer, and it should operate quickly and efficiently.

Quote:
Is there any reason NOT to have a network (I.E. to have them separate)

No. If you had them separated you would need separate internet connections, printers, and they could not access shared storage. The benefits of having systems networked are well worth the minor hassles of setting things up. Scott.

Quote:
I got your book it is very good.

Thanks! I appreciate your kind words and support. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration