[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs Forum • View topic - Trying to Add another person's Laptop to my Wireless
Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Trying to Add another person's Laptop to my Wireless
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:42 pm 

Hi,
I have someone staying here who wants internet access (Only for email)
I have a wireless network with 2 laptops:
A windows XP pro and a windows 7 pro.

The subject computer is: an HP G56 Notebook
uHub(Wireless AP-2.4G) Categories Network Infrastructure
They are running Windows 7 (I guess "home edition")
I cannot access system information.
The person using it logs on as "Guest."

It keeps stating "not connected" and access denied.
Troubleshooter cannot find anything.

I added my wireless (<name> and <security code>) to the networks on the HP and it still does not connect.
(Was that stupid? - I only found out now that the laptop does not belong to the person.)

1. Since I entered my network name and my security code, I have to change it when the person leaves?

2. There are 3 networks on the HP (none of which were mine) Should I have used one of those and entered only my security code? (Now there are 4 - which includes mine)

Every time I access their "available networks" a security icon pops up in the task bar.

3. I do not even know whether the person (logging on as "guest") can use the HP to access their email since "Guest" is not the owner.

Thank you very much in advance!

Post subject: Re: Trying to Add another person's Laptop to my Wireless
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

In order to connect to a wireless network with security enabled you need to know a few things about the network connection. The first is the , which is the up to 32-character "name" of the wireless connection that is broadcast by the access point. It can be hidden via the access point settings, but normally that is not recommended. If the SSID is not hidden, it will show up in the list of available networks as shown by Windows. Next you will need to know the Security Type (WPA-Personal or WPA2-Personal), the Encryption type (TKIP or AES, normally leave this at the default setting), and finally the Security Key, which is essentially the password for the wireless connection.

You can see a detailed page showing how to set up Windows 7 to connect to a Wireless network . Follow the directions on that page and you should be able to connect to your wireless network.

Once the wireless connection is configured as shown in the link above, you should be able to connect. Once connected, the system (that user) would have full access to your network just as if they were connected via a wire, so after they leave you might want to change the Security Key at your access point. That will insure they won't have access in the future (until or unless you give them the new key).

To prevent giving out your security information and allowing full access to your network, note that many newer wireless routers have a that allows you to assign a secondary SSID and key that they can use, which will only grant them internet access and not access to your entire network. You can also turn off the guest network at the router when it is not needed. You can see a list of wireless routers with guest network capability (along with instructions on how to set it up) . Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:56 am 

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:54 pm 
Site Admin

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration