Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Trying to Add another person's Laptop to my Wireless
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:42 pm 

Hi,
I have someone staying here who wants internet access (Only for email)
I have a wireless network with 2 laptops:
A windows XP pro and a windows 7 pro.

The subject computer is: an HP G56 Notebook
uHub(Wireless AP-2.4G) Categories Network Infrastructure
They are running Windows 7 (I guess "home edition")
I cannot access system information.
The person using it logs on as "Guest."

It keeps stating "not connected" and access denied.
Troubleshooter cannot find anything.

I added my wireless (<name> and <security code>) to the networks on the HP and it still does not connect.
(Was that stupid? - I only found out now that the laptop does not belong to the person.)

1. Since I entered my network name and my security code, I have to change it when the person leaves?

2. There are 3 networks on the HP (none of which were mine) Should I have used one of those and entered only my security code? (Now there are 4 - which includes mine)

Every time I access their "available networks" a security icon pops up in the task bar.

3. I do not even know whether the person (logging on as "guest") can use the HP to access their email since "Guest" is not the owner.

Thank you very much in advance!

Post subject: Re: Trying to Add another person's Laptop to my Wireless
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

In order to connect to a wireless network with security enabled you need to know a few things about the network connection. The first is the SSID, which is the up to 32-character "name" of the wireless connection that is broadcast by the access point. It can be hidden via the access point settings, but normally that is not recommended. If the SSID is not hidden, it will show up in the list of available networks as shown by Windows. Next you will need to know the Security Type (WPA-Personal or WPA2-Personal), the Encryption type (TKIP or AES, normally leave this at the default setting), and finally the Security Key, which is essentially the password for the wireless connection.

You can see a detailed page showing how to set up Windows 7 to connect to a Wireless network here. Follow the directions on that page and you should be able to connect to your wireless network.

Once the wireless connection is configured as shown in the link above, you should be able to connect. Once connected, the system (that user) would have full access to your network just as if they were connected via a wire, so after they leave you might want to change the Security Key at your access point. That will insure they won't have access in the future (until or unless you give them the new key).

To prevent giving out your security information and allowing full access to your network, note that many newer wireless routers have a guest network feature that allows you to assign a secondary SSID and key that they can use, which will only grant them internet access and not access to your entire network. You can also turn off the guest network at the router when it is not needed. You can see a list of wireless routers with guest network capability (along with instructions on how to set it up) here. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:56 am 

Scott wrote:
[...]
To prevent giving out your security information and allowing full access to your network, note that many newer wireless routers have a guest network feature that allows you to assign a secondary SSID and key that they can use, which will only grant them internet access and not access to your entire network. You can also turn off the guest network at the router when it is not needed. You can see a list of wireless routers with guest network capability (along with instructions on how to set it up) here. Scott.

This was short lived.
The next day I tried the HP (it HAD connected to Google but the person could not access their email ... luckily) - Turned out to have a virus on it.(?WP2?) - some sort of a worm.... It was "infected". I guess maybe that is why the icon in the taskbar was animated?

I had used my E520 (wired) to send a test email to this person (which never arrived) with a read receipt (which was not read) after the HP'd connected with Google;
The ACER cannot connect (I think there's a switch.)

I ran updated AVAST! (full - various versions all u-t-d) and 3 boot scans. (on Optiplex, E520 and Dell LT) All are clean.

Only thing is my printer: (wireless, direct and other).
It is on a wired PC (E520) - USP connection. This computer needs to be physically connected.
The other wired PC (optiplex) can print withOUT being connected. It only connects to the router (Ethernet). The printer does NOT connect to the router at all.
The E520 does not print if it is not directly connected via USB; however,
the E520 connects to the router (Ethernet) and its file / printer are UNchecked.
The Optiplex has file and printer sharing checked but I do not see any wireless references in network connections. I did not use the printer with the 2 wireless laptops AFTER the person had connected to Google.
1. With everything clean and all my computers being *normal* could there still be something?

2. Is the Optiplex able to print with no connection because of its INdirect ethernet connections?
(Optiplex ETHERNET direct to the router, and the E520 Ethernet to the router.)
(Although the Optiplex WILL print even if the E520 is NOT connected to the printer via its USB (The E520 in that situation will NOT print).

(I'm rerunning full and boot scans on the 3 *possibly* involved PCs.)

Many Thanks!

P.S. I did manually remove my network SSID and security codes from the infected HP (windows 7) I guess I still should rename the network, and the security code.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:54 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Is the Optiplex able to print with no connection because of its INdirect ethernet connections?

All of the systems on your network should be able to print to a printer shared on your network.

There are two main ways to connect most modern printers to a network, one would be to use the printer's built-in print server with its integrated wired or wireless network connection. This means that the printer connects directly to the network (instead of to a PC) and is controlled by the print server built-in to the printer. This generally works well for plain printers, but isn't good for those with scanning or faxing capability since those features normally work only for directly connected PCs. To set up a printer on a network this way you would follow the directions in the printer's manual.

A far better way to connect a printer to a network is to first connect it to a PC, then use that PC to share the printer on the network. This completely avoids using the printer's built-in print server and network connections. Doing it this way makes the set-up much easier, and the directly connected PC can also use the scanning, faxing and other features. To set up a printer on a network this way, follow the directions here.

Using either method, any system currently connected to your network should be able to print to the shared printer.

Quote:
I did manually remove my network SSID and security codes from the infected HP (windows 7) I guess I still should rename the network, and the security code.

It is a good idea to change your wireless security key periodically, especially if you have ever shared it with anybody. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration