Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Dell T10 Thin Client
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:58 am 

I'm curious about these devices.

http://www.wyse.com/sites/default/files ... ass-IA.pdf

I've observed these devices deployed in Enterprise environments, and have done research on them, but, have been unable to determine myself precisely what would be required to deploy such a device myself.

It seems they run from a Citrix session.

What I have in mind is a deployment of 4 to 6 of these in a training type environment to teach basic Windows, Internet, E-Mail, etc.....

What type of equipment and infrastructure and backbone would be required in that setting? Would this be financially feasible? In my case, I already have a Dell PowerEdge 2850 Server with 6 146 SCSI hard drives, and a 24 port Cisco 2850 10/100 switch.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Dell T10 Thin Client
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:46 am 
Site Admin

A thin client like that depends on a server for functionality. I'd recommend you contact Dell for more information. Let us know what you find, Scott.

Post subject: Re: Dell T10 Thin Client
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:31 pm 

glen4cindy wrote:
I'm curious about these devices.

http://www.wyse.com/sites/default/files ... ass-IA.pdf

I've observed these devices deployed in Enterprise environments, and have done research on them, but, have been unable to determine myself precisely what would be required to deploy such a device myself.

It seems they run from a Citrix session.

What I have in mind is a deployment of 4 to 6 of these in a training type environment to teach basic Windows, Internet, E-Mail, etc.....

What type of equipment and infrastructure and backbone would be required in that setting? Would this be financially feasible? In my case, I already have a Dell PowerEdge 2850 Server with 6 146 SCSI hard drives, and a 24 port Cisco 2850 10/100 switch.

Thanks in advance.

We use similar thin clients in my current job which are used to host Citrix sessions. If you wanted to create a basic training environment, as you outline above, I think you might get away with running it on one server. But there are a few caveats to bear in mind. Firstly, running everything on one server creates one point of failure, so this isn't like a fat client environment where you can swap out a PC (in most cases) and you're good to go again. So, in all but a test environment, you'd realistically find more than one server. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, I'm not sure the initial outlay on licenses would make financial sense with such a small number of users. You have to buy MS Server licenses, terminal server licenses and Xenapp or XenDesktop licenses. Have a look here as a intro. Lastly, you can lose flexibility in such an environment: to deploy an application you have to install it on the server and I'm not convinced, despite what advocates say, that all apps work as well as they do in a normal Windows client environment, and that's before you get to the problems associated with some application's licensing.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration