Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Internet Network Connection Disconnects Automatically
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:34 am 

Hi Scott,

I've a dial-up GPRS Modem for my Internet Connection Network. Sometimes the Internet Connection Network disconnects itself automatically! When I contact the ISP; they tell me that they've not experienced any problem with the GPRS Network! They advise me to insert the SIM card in the GPRS enabled Mobile phone to download settings. Many a time that works out, but other times it doesn't!

What causes the Internet Connection getting lost and how could I possibly overcome that?

-- Kit.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

A GPRS modem uses the cellular phone network, and would be subject to the same glitches, problems, disconnects, noise, static, etc. that trouble phone users. In some areas one phone service will have better coverage and signal quality than another. Unfortunately no radio based technology is ever going to be as reliable as something hard wired. In otherwords, these disconnects are probably no fault of yours, and there may not be anything you can do about it except to try a different carrier. I would recommend talking with people using the competing carriers in your area to find out their impressions of the quality of service, then go with whoever seems to offer the best service. Let me know what you find out, Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:42 am 

Scott, I guess that's true! When I contacted my ISP; They told me that this is brought about by also the number of mobile phone customers in a particular area connected to the same Network. This also slows down the Internet surfing speed; leading to Internet automated disconnections.

Well, I've made some home work, and I found out that other networks that are providing the same service with a smaller number of customers; don't experience such glitches like Internet automated disconnections and sloth in Internet speed!

Lately, my ISP contacted Erission to Upgrade its GPRS Network! I've detected when I dial up into their server, there are several splash screen that appear on the screen, like verification of Users Name and Password... However, the last splash screen and a New One that didn't exist before, states -- "Open Network session". That sounds though, they included a special session only for GPRS Internet connection on their carrier! However, this improved the speed, sad to say you need to always download settings using a GPRS enabled mobile phone!

Is it possible that this carrier can handle two sessions separately -- Data and Voice -- without the number of Data customers affecting the ones that use Voice or the other way round; because I guess after the upgrade by Erission; now, what affects speed and connection, is not the number of people with mobile phones connected to my ISP, but the number of people using the same GPRS Modem service?

Thanks.

-- Kit.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration