Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: trendnet switch oh no
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:35 pm 

Ok here it the update read my other post to on the D-link,

will I got this Trendnet switch today from Walmart and I got the newest one the h/v 3.1R.

So far working great.

Thanks for the help.

I also want to know Even tho my dsl modem has a built in router will be necessary to get a router to.

thanks.

Speed things up on this one I hope this last for 20 years or more lol.

Post subject: Re: trendnet switch oh no
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:02 am 
Site Admin

If you already have a router it would not be necessary to get another. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:39 am 

Scott wrote:
If you already have a router it would not be necessary to get another. Scott.

I mean the dsl modem has a built in router

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

spiderman wrote:
I mean the dsl modem has a built in router

Yes indeed, my response was based on that information. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:16 pm 

https://www.trendnet.com/store/products ... 04&cat=120

I'm not sure if this will work with the DSL I have. But from what I read this dsl modem has built in router and a built in hardware firewall and a built in switch. So If I get this dsl modem I can still use the switch I got the other day so I can hook up 9 computers or other devices to the internet.

What do you think of this dsl modem I think the cost is about $17.99 what is this so cheap am I missing something here.

The dsl modem I have right now it is a GT701 dsl modem and this trendent dsl modem whitch one is better. I know this GT701 is 7mps and the trendent dsl modem is 24mps but DSl I have the max speed is 7mps. I don't see anywhere on trendent that they have cable modems unless I miss something.

thanks.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

That modem has a built-in 100Mbit switch. That would be a limitation for high speed cable internet but DSL is so slow it doesn't matter. However it would affect the rest of your network if you connected devices directly to it. In other words I would connect a gigabit switch to one of the ports on that modem and then connect all other devices *only* to the gigabit switch. Make sure you get a gigabit switch with enough ports to handle all other wired devices on your network. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:37 am 

Scott wrote:
That modem has a built-in 100Mbit switch. That would be a limitation for high speed cable internet but DSL is so slow it doesn't matter. However it would affect the rest of your network if you connected devices directly to it. In other words I would connect a gigabit switch to one of the ports on that modem and then connect all other devices *only* to the gigabit switch. Make sure you get a gigabit switch with enough ports to handle all other wired devices on your network. Scott.

I was not going to use that modem to connect to a cable internet because that modem is only for DSL. Now that built in switch is slow but if you connect a gigabit switch to the modem would that slow down the gigabit switch as well. Or how do you connect the dsl modem to the switch. is by going from modem to pc but replace pc for gigabit switch then then connect pc to the gigabit switch and then any other devices connect to the gigabit switch.

I think I might have ask this about the different between routers and Ethernet hubs and Ethernet switches.
I know hubs are dumb as Microsoft is lol and switches are smarter then bill gates.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

spiderman wrote:
Now that built in switch is slow but if you connect a gigabit switch to the modem would that slow down the gigabit switch as well.

All gigabit devices connected to a specific gigabit switch will communicate with each other at gigabit speeds, regardless of other devices and switches on the network.

Quote:
Or how do you connect the dsl modem to the switch.

You said the DSL modem has a 100Mbit switch built-in. You would connect that switch to a gigabit switch with an ethernet cable.

Quote:
I think I might have ask this about the different between routers and Ethernet hubs and Ethernet switches.

You will find information about the differences between hubs and switches in my book in the section "Switches for Ethernet Networks": https://www.amazon.com/dp/0789756102

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration