Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Internet Gateway present, but cannot load pages
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:53 pm 

Hi Scott,

In My Network Places, under Network Connections on my client PC using IE 7, I can see my Internet Gateway connection, but I cannot access the Internet, yet the Internet is available on the Server! Yahoo site and other sites are loading pretty fine on the server, but I've tried to log on a couple of sites using Internet Explorer 7 on my client PC, sad to say they're not loading. It was working well at first, but it has freezed surprizingly. The connection shows that there is no problem, but the web pages cannot be displayed. I've tried several web sites, and the result is the same -- The page cannot be displayed.

I obtained the IP addresses automatically and I tried to Right Click the Network Connectivity icon on the system tray to try to repair the connection, in vain. In the status dialog box, it seems the bytes are sent and received, but the pages cannot be displayed!

What might be problem?

-- Kit

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:06 am 
Site Admin

If you are using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), then try connecting the system directly, or better yet via a router. I also suspect malware on your system. Let me know what you find out, Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:14 am 

Hi Scott,

Yes, as matter of fact am using ICS. A router sounds great, but I've none at the moment. Am using a 8-port CNet switch instead. Do you mean I make this PC my Gateway? If there are any possibilities of malware, are they within the Network or within "this" PC itself?

Thanks,

-- Kit

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

Temporarily connect the client PC directly. Since you aren't using a router, I suspect malware on your ICS system (gateway) or the clients. Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:05 pm 

Thanks,

I've tried to connect it directly as a Gateway and I've connected it back as a client. It's working fine, and am yet to scan for malware though, on both PCs!

-- Kit

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:59 am 

Hi Scott,

I've had trouble with both www.yahoo.com and mail.yahoo.com for almost 6 hours today; they just don't load. Any comment?

-- Kit

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:57 am 
Site Admin

If the problem is restricted to only those sites, most likely the problem is at their end. However, it could also be malware related, to verify see if they work from another system on the same connection. Finally, here is a detailed article with other things to check:

How to troubleshoot possible causes of Internet connection problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314095

Let me know what the problem turns out to be, Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:22 am 

Yes, I thought about malware! I decided to run AVG Sypware. I detected some medium traces though.

I always try to go through other sites for Yahoo to sign-in, like: de.yahoo.com, fr.yahoo.com, au.yahoo.com, ca.yahoo.com; but all have refused, except au.yahoo.com tried to open, but then, it couldn't sign-in!

Other computers on the same connection are also not loading www.yahoo.com or mail.yahoo.com. Hopefully, the problem is at Yahoo's end.

Am trying to go through the detailed article for any possible causes. I'll keep you posted with any probable causes if the glitch is at my end.

Am so grateful, you're one in many <g>

-- Kit

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:48 am 

Hi Scott,

I discovered that the server PC was obtaining IP Addresses manually (192.168.0.1) and the clients were Automatically obtaining IP Addresses. I wonder whether this could be the probable cause of the Internet Connection to be ON and OFF?

I tried also to obtain IP Addresses on the Clients -- 192.168.0.2, 192.168,0.3 series; and the Internet Connection was lost. I tried to restart all the client PCs will manually obtained IP Addresses, again, there was no Internet Connection.

I decided to obtain IP Addresses on the Server PC automatically, this showed that "Limited or no Connectivity." There were two Network icons on the system tray: One for the LAN and the other for the Internet. The one for LAN had a yellow exclamation point!

How can I fix this?

Thanks,

-- Kit

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

I recommend you use a router instead of ICS, which will greatly simplify things as well as add a hardware firewall. But if you want to use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) instead, then I recommend you configure it using the instructions here:

How to configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

If you have problems, then see the following article for help with troubleshooting:

Troubleshooting Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308006

Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:07 pm 

Hi Scott,

Thanks a million.

-- Kit

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration