Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: SMCWUSBS-N
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:54 pm 

I purchased this adaptor for my laptop from amazon for $34. It works well but it says under Speed, 150Mbps. I know that is only the speed it can handle. What bothers me is that the specs on it say it connects at up to 300Mbps. I purchased a different USB Adapter at Wal-Mart(A Belkin) which is also an N adaptor and it runs at 300Mbps when connected....So far it is an excellent connection but I have only been using this new SMC adaptor for about 1 hour. I didn't install the software and just got the driver off the CD which I usually do since I don't like extra crap on my pc that isn't needed. I would rather use windows for my wireless network. Maybe I will try the software but I don't really see a point in all that extra crap it contains,

SMC didn't even have the driver on the website,

http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=downloads.doSearchCriteria&localeCode=EN_USA&knowsPartNumber=false&productCategory=5&modelNumber=1645&partNumber=4149&downloadType=0&os=0

I just installed the driver on the cd, and now also I got a new driver from Windows update. Sill I don't understand why it says 150Mbps and not 300Mbps....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:44 am 
Site Admin

I don't trust the reporting speeds you're getting. You should do some tests and see which one of the adapters is actually running faster. Post the results of some large file transfers between the two. Check page 3-10 of the manual it says maximum receive is 300 while the maximum send rate is 150, so maybe it's showing the maximum send rate. Mike.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration