Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: Speed of Network and Questions
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:24 am 

Scott I am thinking of getting a new router. The router I have now is N but not gigabit. Also my dell that uses the wired connection doesn't have a gigabit NIC. I recently connected another pc with a KVM switch since it was sitting in the closet doing nothing. Anyway now it seems my speed tested at speedtest.net is a lot slower than it was before. I was geting around 19Mbps, now down to around 14. I also have my Nintendo wii connected to my router. Will a new gigabit router and new pci nics speed up the connection somewhat?. Do you have a recommendation on an N wireless router that is reasonably priced and 2 pci nics I can use to upgrade my network to gigabit?. The router I have now is new and I'm sorry I didn't get your recommendation before its purchase. I got a $20 rebate on it though so it only cost me around $60. I might want to spend the money on a new motherboard for a new pc build but I won't have enough money for other parts for a while so I think I should just wait and get new networking hardware.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

If you are talking about speeding up your internet connection, the answer is no, a new router will not speed up your internet connection.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm 

Well not exactly Mike. When you use a router to connect several pcs on a network isn't the bandwith distributed throughout that network, so in a sense the more pcs you add the less bandwith each pc has?. I understand it would slow down pc-pc transfer over the network, but wouldn't it also slow down your internet connection somewhat?. These are specifics that I don't really understand. Also I talked to tech support for my ISP today and they were trying to tell me that my router could be a bottleneck and that I should try connecting my dsl modem directly to the pc, which to me sounds retarded. Another reason I want a new router is Scotts recomendation in "Build a Pc with Scott Mueller" DVD. He recommends using a gigabit router and gigabit network adapter...If it won't increase my download speed somewhat, what would be the benfit of a gigabit router and gigabit network adapters?. Help me understand this better, or refer me to a chapter in any of Scotts books, I have them all.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:48 pm 
Site Admin

Mike is right.

For example, I have an 8Mbps/0.8Mbps (download/upload) internet connection, as provided by my ISP (Comcast). You can verify the speed of your connection by running the test at http://speedtest.net

This means that the download connection speed between my router and the internet is 8Mbps, regardless of whether the router has a built-in 100Mbps or 1000Mbps switch.

The connection between computers attached to my 100Mbit switch is 100Mbps, which is 12.5 times faster than my internet connection download speed.

The connection between computers attached to my gigabit switch is 1000Mbps, which is 125 times faster than my internet connection download speed.

Bottom line: Computers connected to my network at either 100Mbps or 1000Mbps all connect to the internet at only 8Mbps, regardless of which connection they use.

Also, note that a switch creates a direct connection between systems, the bandwidth is not shared as it would be when using a hub.

Why upgrade to gigabit ethernet at all then? Because you can transfer files between your local gigabit connected systems at up to 10 times faster than between 100Mbit connected systems. When moving large files, a gigabit connection is almost the same speed as if the drive were directly connected.

Note that to upgrade to gigabit ethernet, you don't need to change your router, all you need to change are your switches and network cards. And since most existing network cards (including integrated) are already gigabit, in most cases all you'll need to change is your switch.

Post subject: Thanks for explaining that
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:39 pm 

Thanks for the explanation Scott. What originally confused me was when you recomended gigabit on the build a pc with scott mueller video, and you didn't give this much explantion. I pay for "Up to 20Mbps" from my ISP which is GWI. It is DSL. My router is from SMC. SMCWBR14N. They used to sell it at Newegg.com and I got it on sale with a rebate of $20. Now it seems they don't even sell it anymore and it is not even on the SMC website!. So I would have to upgrade my router to gigabit correct and also get some pci cards for my pcs which are older...The newest pc I use has built in gigabit but I am using that pc wirelessly. Don't routers have switches built in?. I thought a switch was older technology. I don't really transfer files much between the two wired pcs because I actually just hooked up the second one with a KVM switch. Otherwise my network at home is wireless. So maybe I should just get a motherboard for a future new pc instead of new network hardware. My pcs are old and I feel like I'm left back in the dust. If I get a motherboard though I want one that will stand the test of time because I am gonna be saving money and building myself a pc little by little. What would you do in my situation?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:44 pm 

Also, I did believe Mike was correct and I appreciate his help also. Just needed a clearer explanation. I have been studying Microsoft and having a hard time with it. Studying a lot but still having a hard time. The way they explain things in their books is complicated. They seem to make simple things complicated. On the other hand when Scott explains something to me it is easier to understand. Maybe he could teach Microsoft how to write their books so people can actually understand them better.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

A router mainly provides a gateway from your network to the internet, it is the switch that connects your systems together and which forms the backbone of the network.

You don't need to upgrade your router, only your switch. Switches are "newer" technology, it is hubs that are older and should be avoided.

Most routers come with switches built-in, which you don't need to use. Merely connect your router to a gigabit switch, then connect all of your PCs, servers, etc. to that switch. At that point you have a gigabit network.

My rule of thumb is to never connect wirelessly if a wired connection is available. Most wireless pales in speed to even a slow 100Mbps wired connection.

After installing a gigabit switch, if any of your existing PCs don't have a gigabit wired connection, you can add a gigabit card for under $10: http://tinyurl.com/yv7gaz

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:39 pm 

Well the reason for the wireless is that I live in an apartement and routing cables everywhere upsets the wife!. Hahaha!. I think I may get a switch and two cards like you said. Can I get a switch really cheap?. Also I want to build myself a new pc starting with a motherboard but it is gonna take me a while to save for the other parts. Can you give me a recommendation on a motherboard that will still be up-to-date by September?. I am just guessing but I should have all the parts by then, or better said, have all the money for the parts. I want a step up slightly from my moms pc that you just recommended the parts for. I don't play games much but would like something that can handle a game once in a while. Built in video would be fine but I would like to be able to upgrade to pci express card if need be. I just want a "future proof" board so by the time I have money for other parts it will still be up-to-date.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:57 am 
Site Admin

Gigabit switches are pretty cheap these days: http://tinyurl.com/297z2d

The GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R is my favorite all-around motherboard at the moment: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mot ... uctID=2534

Will I still recommend that exact board 8 months from now? Maybe, maybe not, however it is as future proof a board as you can get right now, being that it accepts upcoming Penryn processors. Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:15 pm 

Thank a lot Scott. For parts I do have an extra 650 power supply that is brand new and never used. Also I have an extra 150 gig Sata hard drive...So I just need the cpu, ram, and case.

Last edited by FatGuy on Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:22 pm 

I will probally go from most expensive to least expensive when purchasing parts. I'll start with the motherboard. I think the cpu would be next in line as far as price goes correct?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

I'd suggest saving your money until you have enough to get a system all at once. If you buy things one at a time, by the time you have it all together you'd see the stuff you just bought a couple months before would be down in price, or even worse, obsolete already.

Give a ring when you're ready to purchase.

Mike.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:56 pm 

Ok let me see if I can price things out first. All I would need is a case, motherboard, cpu, ram....I can afford to spend about $300 right now with shipping. I have a hard drive I can use and also a 650 watt psu, so acutally I don't think I'll have to save much more, if I can find deals online.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:06 pm 

Crap, I forgot about optical drives. I guess this stuff adds up quick.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:38 pm 

Well I have 3 items in my newegg cart right now and its at $204.97. I have the motherboard that Scott suggested,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128053

Ram,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098

Dvd burner,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151153

now I just need a case without the psu, because I already have a power supply I can use. After this I would just need a cpu and it wouldn't take long to put the money aside for that. I just don't know whether it would be worth it to go quad core at this point in time. Like I said before theough I don't do any serious gaming or anything of that nature. Just like to be up-to-date with the times.

Post subject: Maybe move this to a different section now
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:57 pm 

Ok well I am gonna go ahead and order the parts this week. I have enough for everything but the processor, so I don't think it will take me long get the money for the boxed processor. Just need a recommendation on a CPU. Just slightly more powerfull than the one I built for my Mom. Sorry I'm stuborn now and I want a new pc, maybe it was because I built the one for my mom. I just gotta have a new one...I will get the money for it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

Here's the processor you want:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115018

Now that that's settled, this thread is done.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration