Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Modem Issue, Windows 2000
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:00 pm 

Hi all,

I am working on a Windows 2000 Dell GX150 Desktop. Customer states that the dial up modem was working just fine, getting connections of 52k until one day, it really started acting up. Most attempts would not connect at all, and on the rare occasions when it would connect, it would only connect at <24k, usually in the low teens.

I brought the system to my shop, and started swapping out the modem with every one I had in my spare parts cabinet, approximately 10 different makes and models.

Most of the modems I tried would connect for about 10 seconds then drop.

The only modems that maintain a connection are the 2 US robotics ( I tried both an internal PCI and a USB connected external) however, though they stay connected, it is only at 24k and the only website I can bring up is Google. It will not go to any other websites...it just times out with a DNS error.

I have performed a complete re-install of the Windows 2000 OS with no improvement.

When I connect the system to my highspeed connection, it runs beautifully. No problems.

Anybody have any ideas on how to go forward?

One other sticky point, this computer model only takes half height PCI cards, so even though the USR PCI modem gave me a continuous connection, I can't use it because I can't close the case. Anybody know where those half height PCI modems are available?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Randy

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

This sounds very confusing. From what you say, you've eliminated everything from contention except the motherboard.

I recommend starting over. The best thing would be to get a system that is working, and exchange components with the failing system until the problem occurs on the working one.

If I had that system, I'd temporarily install a drive, install Windows on it from scratch (I'd use XP in the test install), then install the modem, modem drivers, and see if you can get online. If not, then change the modem, PSU, motherboard, etc. until you can get it to work. Let me know if you figure out what the culprit turns out to be. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration