Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: "Net | send" DOS command
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:53 pm 

Hi Scott,

What is the syntax of "net | send" MS DOS command to communicate/chat with other PCs on a LAN using a command prompt CUI. Kindly give me an example.

-- Kit

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

That's a Windows command.

For information on Windows commands, refer to the excellent Command-line reference help file (ntcmds.chm) included with Windows. This file is normally found in the %windir%\Help folder, which is C:\WINDOWS\Help on most systems. You can click on the ntcmds.chm file directly in Windows Explorer, or you can run it from the Start;Run dialog or any command prompt by typing: hh ntcmds.chm

Once the Command-line reference is running, click the Command-line reference A-Z to see an alphabetical reference to all Windows commands.

There you'll find a detailed reference to the command you are looking for, including examples.

Note that the NET SEND command requires the Messenger service to be running, and that service is disabled by default in Windows XP SP2 and later, and is not supported at all in Vista:

You can enable the service in XP, however that will open your system up to messenger spam (which is why it was disabled by default in XP SP2 and later):

Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:44 pm 

Hi Scott,

Am always amazed at the kind of information you have on your finger tips. Thanks a million. <g>

Yes, When I tried to run the NET SEND command, it always displayed this message:

The message alias could not be found on the network.
More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2273.

I'll try to enable it and see how it works, though I'll disable it later to avoid the messenger spam since microsoft gives the following caution on this page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839018 :

"Caution: Do not enable the Messenger service if your computer is connected to the Internet."

Thanks again,

-- Kit

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration