Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Multiple ethernet ports on Mobo
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:03 pm 

Hello again.

I was wondering is someone could explain the benefits of having more than one ethernet port on a motherboard? Gigabyte currently has at least one board that has four Rj-45 ports!

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Multiple ethernet ports on Mobo
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:45 pm 
Site Admin

The only things that I can think of would be for situations where you want to segment a network so some computers can see the computer for certain things and other computers for others but not see each other.

Another thing would be to have the computer hooked to the internet as a server and yet have internal networked computers also attached to the server.

I'm sure that there are other reasons to have multiple network connections but I personally don't have any reason for multiple ports.

Mike.

Post subject: Re: Multiple ethernet ports on Mobo
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:33 am 
Site Admin

As Mike suggests, segmenting and using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) are two reasons why one might want multiple NICs (Network Interface Cards). Other reasons include network bridging, NIC teaming, and load balancing. Search on those terms and you'll find out more about them.

Personally I would rather accomplish segmenting and/or ICS via routers rather than PCs, and the ability to team/bond or load balance using conventional networks is more intended for servers, not clients. Bridging can be useful in many situations, but for home or small business networks it is perhaps most useful for connecting networks using different types of media (i.e. connecting two wired networks together via a bridged wireless connection): http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... ril22.mspx

Bottom line: Multiple NICs are not something I get very excited about, my guess is the motherboard mfrs. find that multiple NICs are a feature they can easily add to high-end motherboards to make them more "spec (as in specification) -tacular". <g> Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration