Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: My Parents Satalite Internet Problems
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:11 pm 

My parents live out in the woods now and have Wild Blue Satalite Internet. They have been having a problem with it for a while now. It seems to go in and out. They told me most of the time when they call all they tell them to do is reset the router and unplug and plug in the Modem. Well they do that and it works for a little while and they goes out again. I took a look for a few minutes and there modem intermitantly loses its signal. The recieve light starts to blink instead of being solid and then of course you don't get DHCP info or DNS.....They did have a guy come look at it and he replaced the "tria" on the satalite and it worked for a while they tell me and then they started getting the same problem with it being intermitant. They have had the service since last spring and just recently starting having these probelms within the last 3-4 months. Now they are having another guy from Wild Blue come over but not til the end of the month. So Scott, what do you think?.

Post subject: Re: My Parents Satalite Internet Problems
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

About all I can say is that it sounds like a problem with either the dish, LNB, cable, or modem. <g> Not very helpful I know, but hopefully the tech from Wild Blue will be able to figure it out. It could be something as simple as a bad coax cable or connector, or that the dish aim is just a little off.

I used Hughes Satellite for internet access for several years myself, since cable or DSL was not available in my area at the time. I even moved the dish myself when we moved to our current location several years ago (at the time no other services were immediately available here either, but they were coming). Knowing that I would soon be able to change to cable or DSL, I didn't want to do a permanent install of the dish. So Mike and I built a wooden stand, secured it to the ground with rebar stakes, then manually aimed the dish, ran the cable, and set everything up. The aiming was a bit tricky, you had to be pretty much spot on for it to work properly. Having the dish on the ground was technically illegal, since it contains a microwave transmitter it must be 15 ft. off the ground to prevent the possibility of nuking anybody standing in front of it. Instead of mounting it up high, I merely told people "see that dish, don't stand in front of it if you ever want to have kids". <g> The good thing was that it was easy to clear of ice and snow buildup which would otherwise cause the connection to fail. Anyway, as soon as cable became available I happily jumped ship.

If no other service is available, satellite is OK as a last resort. It is most definitely better than dial-up. <g> Let me know what the solution for your parents turns out to be, Scott.

Post subject: Re: My Parents Satalite Internet Problems
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:20 pm 

Thanks for the quick response Scott. Unfornately there is no other service available for them. They are litaraly in the in the woods down a mile dirt road(driveway).

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration