Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: New Linksys Dual Band router
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:25 pm 

Hey Scott I was wondering what you thought about this router,

http://tinyurl.com/44f5y4

I only use one pc with wireless at this point and understand more why you suggest to use wired connections whenever possible. Still I do like trying new technolgy out and I know you usually recommend Linksys products. Most of the customer reviews for the product are negative but I trust your judgement a lot better than anyone elese. On a side note, do you know when if ever the N wireless standard will be finalized?

Post subject: Re: New Linksys Dual Band router
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

That router looks good on paper, but I haven't tested it personally. If I were using one I would definitely recommend upgrading to the latest firmware, as would be the case with any new product where frequent firmware changes are released, and which may help improve performance and reliability.

Quote:
On a side note, do you know when if ever the N wireless standard will be finalized?

At this point they are anticipating publication in November 2009, but that could change: http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/11/R ... update.htm

Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:51 pm 

I would not worry so much about the finalized N protocol. The draft-N works very well. Unless there is functionality you desire proposed in the final N protocol, you should go with wireless now rather than wait. But there is only two reasons for wireless: mobility and placement of a computer in a room that is either a pain to wire, or your wife would get wired. If you want to wait for the final N, you could think about some rather inexpensive draft N routers that do not have dual band capability to experiment in the interim, unless you are looking at the open channels offered in the 5Ghz band.

The Linksys you are looking at is very new. I would try to find any evaluations published on it and look at it accordingly. Some manufacturers implementations are much better than others, and while Linksys has been one of the better, I have not been blown off my feet with their current N wifi 2.4Ghz routers. I have not seen this particular model and have high hopes for it.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:25 pm 

I already do use wireless, but have since changed to wired on my laptop because I just leave it on my coffee table anyway. In out bedroom at home I have a pc that I built myself a while ago and it is at least 80 feet or more from the router. The wife already isn't so pleased with all the wires I have lying around so I really have to use the one in our bedroom wirelessly. I was just thinking of the future and maybe geting a nice new pretty router for myself this Christmas.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration