Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Gigabit Routers
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:59 am 

Hi Scott,

System:
MS Windows XP SP3, Pentium dual CPU E2220 @2.40 GHz 3.0GB RAM, Nvida Gforce 8600 GTS

I will be moving to 20MB fibre on the 6th November and wanted to understand the benefits of
getting a Gigabit router.
The main purpose is speed improvement as I understand the local file transfer will move from
1 x 100 to 1x 1000 is this true and what are the pro’s & con’s of using this type of router with
A fibre connection.
Could you also let me know what specifications to look for in this type of router?
I never seem to hear anyone discuss this topic is there a reason why?

Many thanks for your last answer a few weeks ago.

Kind regards

Brian Goddard
Crouch Hill
London

Post subject: Re: Gigabit Routers
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
The main purpose is speed improvement as I understand the local file transfer will move from 1 x 100 to 1x 1000 is this true...

Yes.
Quote:
...and what are the pro's & con's of using this type of router with A fibre connection.

Unfortunately I can't be sure as you haven't given me any specific details about your connection or the specific gateway device you will be using, however there are probably none either way:

1.) A modern router is a router and a switch. In most cases only the switch part is gigabit, the WAN connection is still only 100Mbit.

2.) Even if you get a router with a gigabit WAN port, the modem (gateway) you are going to connect it to is probably 100Mbit.

3.) Even if you had a gigabit WAN port and a gigabit modem, your ISP will probably cap your speed at 100Mbit or less.

4.) Even if you had a gigabit WAN port, gigabit modem, and a true gigabit connection from your ISP, few sites you connect to will offer even 100Mbit connections, much less anything higher.

In short, it is doubtful that your internet connection will be affected in any way.

Quote:
Could you also let me know what specifications to look for in this type of router?

That is a loaded question. Did you need wireless? If so, what type (a/b/g/n)? Do you really need a gigabit WAN port? How many LAN ports do you need?

If you already have a router, I'd recommend leaving it in place and simply getting a gigabit switch. Pretty much any of these will suffice: http://tinyurl.com/69tk2b

Quote:
I never seem to hear anyone discuss this topic is there a reason why?

Probably because not many people have a server in their home (which is too bad, because they *should*), and gigabit is most useful when moving files to and from a server. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:09 am 

Hi Scott,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.The router would be a wireless N.
I do not have a server just a single PC, just wondered if the router would make a difference
to the general speed performance.

Kind regards

Brian

Crouch Hill
London

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:02 am 
Site Admin

Let us know how you like the new connection when you get it.

Mike

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:31 pm 

briangoddard wrote:
The router would be a wireless N.
I do not have a server just a single PC, just wondered if the router would make a difference to the general speed performance.

No. You would be plugging a device in between your network connection and a direct connect to a PC. [It shouldn't slow it down however...the bottleneck will still be either your ISP (not in this case) or your computer's Ethernet connection. [If you only have one computer why install a draft-N wifi? If you are running your computer wireless through the wifi then it will be your bottleneck.]

However, one big advantage to using your router is the hardware firewall it provides for the little malicious malcontents out there scanning for an open port.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration