Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Cable internet problems
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:37 am 

Cable internet problems

Day time the internet works fine mybe a few glitches here and there and the normal slow down due to online traffic. Which is normal in high traffic zones. I live in a small town of 6,000 People. But Night time to later 4pm to 5am as the temps cool down I think there a small crack in the main line which make the connection unstable and there 5 Min to 30 Mins disconnection time. I am not the only one that has this problem in my area. I would guess temp related. Day times 70f to 80f and night time 30f.

The people who work on the lines do not know anything about computers. I do know a guy who use to work for this company and he dont know anything about computers he always have me fix his computer. I keep telling him to buy a new computer. His is 15 year olds.

I would like to explain the problem to the internet company so there online techs can undertand it. Then tell the people who work on the lines of the fault.

The other problem my family asking why not satelite connection. I tried telling them Lag due to distance. Earth to Satelite then back which adds almost a second of lag and cost of useing the internet for longer then normal is cost.

Let me list times when it disconnects

November 3 6:00 to 6:30pm off line
November 4 4:00 to 4:15 pm and 7:30 to 8:30 pm, 11:50pm to next day off on. 2:am But no lag. It just stops

That why I think it temp related.

Other things to note Not many use Cable TV in my area. Most of it is Dish network or direct TV

Please help

Post subject: Re: Cable internet problems
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:51 am 
Site Admin

Call your internet provider when it goes out. Call every time it goes out until they fix the problem. That's about all you can do.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:18 am 
Site Admin

See if you can document that your neighbors are having the same problems, if so then that will help confirm to the provider that it is not your own network. If there are any splitters in the line before the modem, try removing them and using a direct connection. I've seen poorly designed splitters cause signal degradation that leads to intermittent outages. Also try running a different modem, which may even help your connection speeds. For example, I wasn't having any connection problems, and I was using an older (vintage 2003) cable modem that conformed to DOCSIS 1.1 (Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification) http://www.cablemodem.com. I had heard that Comcast had increased connection speeds in my area, however I wasn't seeing any benefits. On a hunch I replaced my older DOCSIS 1.1 modem with a newer one supporting DOCSIS 2.0, and my download speeds instantly *tripled*. In the next year or so I may want to replace it again, with an even newer DOCSIS 3.0 modem: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/98582

If a new (known-good) modem with a direct connection doesn't work, then the problems most likely lie outside your network. I've seen cable and phone internet connection problems due to temperature, moisture, and even mice. Only the provider (cable company in your case) can fix problems that originate outside of your network. Call and complain every time it goes down (squeaky wheel gets the grease), and investigate other options if they can't solve the problem. For example, if DSL is available in your area, you could try that, or there may be a Wireless ISP option as well, which can be even faster than cable. Satellite is another option (one I used with great success for several years), however due to the cost and minor lag issues, I only recommend satellite if there are no other wired or wireless options. Let me know how it works out in the end, Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:35 pm 

Well what I learn from internet tech support there about 50 people in my area are having the same problem.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

Good, there is strength in numbers. You should all call them every day until they fix it. Let me know how it works out, Scott.

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:22 pm 

Well I change internet Providers. I went from Rapidcable to Atnt. It seem to work off and on. Now there 3 people in my area that have Atnt. One guy Has Major problems lives 160 feet from me the guy Next to me works 100% and about 30 feet from my house Both to the south of me I get about 90%. If anything I have to Unplug the internet and plug it back in. Today we had a 6 hour disconnection. Yet the Guy next door with the same setup worked.

Could it be that the Wires from the House to the Phone jack could be the Fault?

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, literally anything could be at fault. Leave no stone unturned in your testing and you will find the answer. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:11 pm 

My Mum is brilliant at talking to faceless companies, she told BT (UK Copper phone line monopoly provider) that if they didn't fix the problem she would lol!

(in the UK there are little green boxes that can be broken into!!)

http://www.brianrobson.org.uk/wp-conten ... -small.jpg

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration