Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Internet connection enigma?!
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:08 pm 

I have a problem currently with a customer PC in regards to internet connectivity. Apparently since around AUG/08 this machine has been unable to connect to the internet. The owner states that he has spent several hours with a couple different tech support persons from the ISP to no avail. I have looked at the PC a couple times since it was dropped off and sure enough - no connection to internet. The unit has an Asrock P4V88
motherboard. I first tried to connect via the on-board network adapter - no luck. I have since installed and tried to connect with a couple different PCI NIC cards also with no luck.
I have tried to browse the net with both IE and Mozilla. I have tried to repair the network connection -and check/change LAN settings in Internet Options. The PC is connected physically through my router with an ethernet cable. I have tried the ping command using command prompt, pinged a couple of websites and received replies ( 4 packets sent - 4 packets received - 0% loss). I use my router all the time to connect PCs to get updates ,
programs, patches etc. Never had any problems. I do not know a great deal about all possible network/connectivity options, so if there is anything else anyone could think of please let me know. There are no conflicts or problems devices listed on this PC and everything listed in device manager looks ok. Could this be a problem with the MB chipset
or some kind of on-board controller issue? Could there be a program/app installed that is causing this due to some kind of program setting? The Windows icon in the bottom (r) hand taskbar indicates that the connection is present, and in Network connection properties under status it indicates a connection of 100.0 Mbps. Also with any of the connections attempted there appears to be a valid IP address present. I just don't know?
Have never encountered anything quite like this. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks and regards.

Post subject: Re: Internet connection enigma?!
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:18 pm 
Site Admin

I suspect a problem with firewall software such as ZoneAlarm, which had a known incompatibility with a Windows update issued in July: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951748

Bottom line: If you are running ZoneAlarm or any other 3rd party firewall, internet security or other protection software (including anti-malware software), *uninstall* or disable it, restart the system, then see if you can get online.

Unfortunately by over-protecting the system these types of programs end up causing more problems than they solve, which is why I don't use or recommend them in general. When troubleshooting any sort of problem like this (or any problem with Windows in general), the *first* step I take is to disable or uninstall any "protection" software to see if it might be the cause.

Let me know if this doesn't help, in that case there are some other things you can try. Scott.

Post subject: Re: Internet connection enigma?!
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:41 am 

Scott wrote:
I suspect a problem with firewall software such as ZoneAlarm, which had a known incompatibility with a Windows update issued in July: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951748

Bottom line: If you are running ZoneAlarm or any other 3rd party firewall, internet security or other protection software (including anti-malware software), *uninstall* or disable it, restart the system, then see if you can get online.

Unfortunately by over-protecting the system these types of programs end up causing more problems than they solve, which is why I don't use or recommend them in general. When troubleshooting any sort of problem like this (or any problem with Windows in general), the *first* step I take is to disable or uninstall any "protection" software to see if it might be the cause.

Let me know if this doesn't help, in that case there are some other things you can try. Scott.

Scott - Thanks for the prompt reply. I uninstalled all of the Norton Systemworks stuff, and sure enough! That's what was causing all the grief with the internet connection. Appreciate your help. Regards. Greg

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration