Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Scott's Tips

Post subject: How did you learn all of this stuff?
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:52 pm 

How did you learn all of this stuff? I want to learn about all of these things too but I want to do so from official documentation. I'm not trying to discredit you or your book but anyone can write a book and fill it with facts or they can fill it with misinterpreted facts or just flat-out lies. What types of official documentation did you read to understand things like microprocessor architecture?

Thank you

Post subject: Re: How did you learn all of this stuff?
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
How did you learn all of this stuff?

I get that a lot. <g> Seriously though, the best short answer I have is: "By studying the subject matter intensely, and for a long time."

How long? I began studying personal computers before the (IBM) PC even existed. Before PCs, I used the Apple ][ as well as several CP/M based computers including Osborne, Kaypro, Altos, and Molecular systems.

Facts or lies? Definitely facts. <g> When doing research, my philosophy has always been to identify the primary source or originator of the information and start there. For computer components and technology that often takes me to manufacturer provided datasheets, design guides, "white papers" and other technical documents. Whenever that technology is based on officially published standards and specifications, then I go to the official documents directly. For example, when I write about the ATA (AT Attachment, aka "IDE") interface, I get my information from the official ATA standards documents published by INCITS Technical Committee T13, the organization responsible for the standard.

Quote:
What types of official documentation did you read to understand things like microprocessor architecture?

The x86 microprocessor architecture was created by Intel, so for detailed information I started with documents like the official Intel 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer's Manuals, as well as the datasheets for specific processors like the Intel Core i7. For AMD x86 processors I would also go to AMD and consult the datasheets for processors like the AMD Phenom II.

For additional examples, check out the following *small sample* of some of the official standards and specifications covering other PC components and technology that I have recently used for research:

While many of the official documents and information covering current technology can be found online, a huge amount of original and historical material cannot, and some of what was originally online is no longer available. On account of that, one of my best assets is my extensive library. I've been researching and collecting computer technology information for nearly 30 years. Over that time I have amassed both an extensive physical (pre-internet) library of books, magazines, documents, datasheets and specifications consuming over 300 linear feet of shelving, as well as an extensive digital research library currently consisting of over 57,000 files consuming more than 120GB.

Anybody who has read my technical writing knows that I take my research seriously, no matter what the subject. My role in writing computer books is to do the research, distill the facts, then reorganize the information and present it in an understandable and concise manner, all the while keeping the information as technically in-depth and accurate as possible. I do try to indicate the original sources of information where I can, and have always encouraged people to check out that information directly.

I hope this addresses your concerns. Thanks for your comments and your interest. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:42 pm 

I'm glad you put this post up with all the links to different specifications. This will really help out with research.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

You're welcome. <g> That is just a very small sample of the standards and specifications that I have used and collected over the years. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:51 pm 

In regards to this e-mail, what type of stuff do you study on a day to day basis now days. In other words how do you stay current?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:31 am 
Site Admin

I stay current by studying all of the existing and developing standards and trends in the industry. The results of that research appears both here and in my latest books and DVDs. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:34 am 

"The results of that research appears both here and in my latest books and DVDs." - Scott.

That it does, I have the 18th version of Upgrading and Repairing PCs, and our college instructor uses it as one of his course books. Nevertheless he told us at the start of semester he was going to give us a test on Processor Ch. 3 which is like the biggest, and most detailed chapter ever. He had me and several others wondering how we were going to take all of it in, but it turned out he only gave the test on the first part of the chapter, which of course talks about the very very first history of the computer and processor.

Thanks

Shane Thompson

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Scott's Tips