[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs Forum • View topic - Becoming an expert device and driver Detective
Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Scott's Tips

Post subject: Becoming an expert device and driver Detective
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: Becoming an expert device and driver Detective
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:05 pm 

Good advice, thanks for putting this together!

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:12 am 

The 5005g chipset is also sometimes used in internal Mini-PCI adaptors :)

Post subject: A lesson in safe computing
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:31 am 
Site Admin

Of course it is. In fact you can see the chip in a reference Mini PCI card design in the Atheros (from one of the links in my article). If you read that, you can see that the chip has integrated Mini PCI, PC Card (CardBus), and PCI interfaces. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:48 am 

Scott, thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions in such detail. It's greatly appreciated!

So using the methodology you describe in this topic, I believe I've found a more recent driver for my Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC which is integrated into my motherboard. My current version is 5.659.1012.2006 and I am running Windows XP. The device ID is as follows: PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8167&SUBSYS_094C1462&REV_10\3&13C0B0C5&0&68, which would make the Vendor/Device code VEN_10EC & DEV_8167. PCI Database (http://pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php?id=622) shows three possible chip numbers for this device. I assume since my device is listed as the 8169/8110 family, that I have the RTL8169 chip. One thing that is a little confusing here is that according to MSI's website (http://tinyurl.com/yhpz9ry), my motherboard has RTL8110SB (which is not listed as one of the chips on the PCI Database). The Realtek website (http://tinyurl.com/yg4udw) shows a newer Windows XP driver (November 20th, 5.719) for the RTL8110SB(L) and RTL 8169. (I don't know why Realtek lists "(L)" after "RTL8110SB.")

Assuming I have figured this out correctly, is it worth upgrading a driver such as this when everything seems to be working just fine?

Thanks,
Brad

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:21 am 
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:28 pm 

When I said that the PCI Database didn't list the RTL8110SB, I meant that it does not list it as one of the "chip numbers." While the "chip description" is listed as "Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC," if you click on this link http://pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php?id=622 and scroll down to device ID 0x8167, it lists the chip numbers as RTL8169/RTL8111B/RTL8111C. This is the reason I was assuming that I have chip number RTL8169 (since RTL8110SB is not listed as a chip number) and is also the part that is confusing me.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

Devices and drivers are confusing to a lot of people, mainly because of all of the rebranding that goes on in the industry, combined with the lack of good technical documents and specifications.

Also confusing to many are the multiple chipset designations, for example the chipset includes a single chip, the , so some might refer to it by instead. Likewise, it can be confusing when a chipset "family" can consist of , many of which use the same Device IDs and drivers.

Hopefully this thread has cleared things up a bit. Removing the veil and clearing up this confusion is the primary motivation behind my books, videos and this forum, after all! Scott.

PS: This Tip spawned a related one here:

Post Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:44 pm 

Scott have you had trouble with the Intel driver install program?

Particularly the Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchR ... amilyId=42

I tried to use the program on an X58 chipset PC with Windows XP, the installer whizzed though the process too fast and no drivers were installed, despite the drivers being out of date 2010 ones.

However I was able to install the drivers from the zip file download, but it was very boring having to do each driver in devmgmt.msc separately.

I ask because the autoinf program has whizzed though on a few PC's now and I'd like to fix it

Post Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

I covered the chipset here: viewtopic.php?t=628

From what you describe, everything seems to be . Since all the INF utility does is make entries in the registry enabling Windows to , if there are no then further updates are usually not necessary. In other words, if the appropriate entries already exist in the registry the INF utility won't do anything. As you describe you can manually , but all that will normally do is change the date and possibly the text description of the device as listed in the Device Manager. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:51 pm 

Thank You Scott, so I understand then that normally the chipset drivers are only normally released once per chipset, and that for the X58 (first gen i7 CPU) that the 2010 drivers are still the latest despite bug fixes etc?

I updated the drivers as good practise, but if they only release one verion for each chipset then I only need the driver installer that came out with the chipset on each Motherboard?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:23 pm 
Site Admin

The INF files aren't really "drivers", they are more like description files. You generally need to install/update them only if certain system devices show up as unknown in the Device Manager. There are generally no changes to them for a particular device once they are released to describe that particular device. You do however want to install the latest SATA/AHCI and Graphics drivers as those are part of the processor and/or chipset, and those are actual drivers. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:30 am 

Thanks Scott, I did update the Intel ICH10R drivers (running Raid 5) at the same time, glad I did, also new subject what books do you have upcoming?

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:06 am 
Site Admin

My latest (Sept. 2012) is the . I only have a few copies of this book available myself, see my for more information. Thanks, Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Scott's Tips