[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs Forum • View topic - A lesson in safe computing
Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Scott's Tips

Post subject: Re: Becoming an expert device and driver Detective
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:08 am 

QUOTE from Scott above: "Using my incredible mad search skillz, I was able to find an excellent up-to-date collection of the latest Atheros reference drivers."

Scott, when I clicked on the Google search link (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=atheros+ar5005g+driver) there were at least two sites that Norton Internet Security identified as unsafe. I would not have known that these were unsafe without the Norton icons next to the website links to tell me. I know that you consider Norton to be "malware." Nonetheless, I appreciate the protection I get from Norton for situations just like this. Without Norton to tell you, how do you avoid clicking on malicious sites?

Thanks for the great info in this topic!

Brad

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:59 am 
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:08 pm 

Right on Scott, I roam the net all the time with no virus protection or malware ect, and I never run into problems. Like you say, one just has to be on the look out, and noticing bogus stuff kind of becomes second nature.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:24 am 

Scott, I would appreciate some more clarification on this topic, if you don't mind. I'm trying to understand malicious software a lot better and your postings keep bringing questions to my mind.

For instance, Norton identifies the threat on one of the sites as Spyware.Perfect at the link "http://www.soft32.com/download/63-253156-1/i_bpk2007.exe." I don't know what that looks like on the actual page (because I didn't want to go to the page), but if someone titled that link as "Atheros Driver AR5005G," how would I know that it is spyware and not a legitimate driver? Wouldn't it be easy for someone to name a downloader or trojan file with what looks like a legitimate driver file name and trick the unknowing user into downloading and executing that file? Furthermore, aren't there viruses or other malicious software that download immediately upon visiting a particular website?

Interestingly, I noticed this related article today about fradulent websites that trick search engines into placing their listings in the top search results: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34331938/ns ... d_gadgets/

Thanks so much,
Brad

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:53 am 

I put AVG on my hp mini 1000 after using it for several months without any anti spyware.

It found a doubleclick cookie.

My hard drive light flickered all the time, even when not on the net and just using it for reading ebooks.

I turned it off because I am afraid it will wear out the hard drive.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x218 ... ure043.jpg

My study lab. I can ride the bike and read the books at the same time without my glasses on !

Love the ebooks ! Thanks for including them !

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:36 am 
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:45 am 
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:07 pm 

With regard to the original article that started this thread, thank you Scott. Most useful. MOST useful!

The malware discussion that followed is quite good, but should be in its own thread for search purposes IMHO.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:31 pm 

[quote="Scott"]....Note that cookies are not malware....[/quote]

I disagree with Scott on some of his 'go spartan' antivirus advice for the typical PC user. But as he demonstrates --- a wary user whom understands what their computer is doing can survive READILY WITHOUT all of the malicious software prevention software present soaking up CPU cycles.

Also, are Scott's visitors to this site "typical PC users?" I would argue "no."

But the above quote by Scott is one of the reasons I turn off the irritating 'search and report cookies' function found in all AV software usually turned on as the default. It speeds up the search process, and as Scott says, cookies are not malware. Cookies are often quite useful to the end user, and presumably always useful to the vendor installing a cookie;-).

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: A lesson in safe computing
 Post Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:08 pm 

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Scott's Tips