Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Scott's Tips

Post subject: Intel introduces 32nm processors
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

Intel has introduced the first processors manufactured on a 32nm process. This introduction includes two main sets of processors, codenamed Clarkdale (desktops) and Arrandale (laptops). Commercially these are known as the Core i7/i5/i3 processors for desktop and mobile systems.

Besides being manufactured on the 32nm process, several of these processors are also notable for being the first processors with integrated graphics. Note that the integrated graphics is implemented via a graphics processor die included alongside the processor die in the same package, as seen in this picture of a Clarkdale chip with the heat spreader partially removed, as well as in this picture of an Arrandale chip, which lacks the heat spreader covering the die. In each of those photos, the 32nm based CPU is the smaller of the two chips, while the 45nm based GPU is the larger.

More information can be seen in the official press release: Intel Unveils All New 2010 Intel Core Processor Family

Scott.

Post subject: Re: Intel introduces 32nm processors
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:31 pm 

Just bought an Asus laptop with the i5 processor, love this computer. Very fast.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Scott's Tips