Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Scott's Tips

Post subject: New unlocked mainstream Intel processors
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

It used to be that you had to spend a fortune to get an unlocked (easily overclockable) Intel processor like the i7-975 Extreme Edition. Not anymore...

Unlocked and Unleashed:

"With the introduction of the new Intel Core i7-875K and the Intel Core i5-655K processors Intel is introducing unlocked processors to the mainstream that allow for more stability and more flexibility. By allowing the user to change the core multiplier there is more flexibility in the overclocking as this is an additional “knob” to turn. The better stability comes from generally being able to use less voltage when overclocking the cores only. In the past, a user had to use the base clock for overclocking and this called for large voltage increases and instability in the rest of the processor. With the introduction of these exciting new processors, the overclocking sky is the limit!"

For more information see: Unlocked Processors Give Enthusiasts the Edge

The specs on the new quad-core i7-875K are "extremely" impressive, and yet the pricing is quite reasonable. Of course the dual-core i5-655K is even less expensive. These new processors will allow for relatively easy and safe overclocking for more mainstream purchasers, which I feel is a very good move on Intel's part. Scott.

Post subject: Re: New unlocked mainstream Intel processors
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:24 pm 

Wow Scott, that i7-875k is looking really good to me!. I just built my system in January though. I've never been interested in over-clocking but I'm guessing with that cpu it would be pretty easy and I wouldn't have to worry about instability.

Is it too early to upgrade my processor?....Hmmm I don't know if it would be a smart financial decision...

I have this cpu now,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215

Also this motherboard,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128404

How simple would it be to overclock the new cpu if I decide to get it?

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:01 pm 

Scott wrote:
....These new processors will allow for relatively easy and safe overclocking for more mainstream purchasers, which I feel is a very good move on Intel's part. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

Nice. <g> While I don't necessarily recommend overclocking for the unwashed masses, I've been a closet overclocker for years. Heck, I started overclocking my systems back in '85, right after the IBM PC-AT came out with a socketed clock crystal. But I've always done it in moderation, and have never tolerated even the slightest bit of instability. Fortunately Intel has always built its processors with a lot of headroom, such that mild overclocks are a virtual no-brainer. It wasn't until the Pentium II came out that overclocking became more difficult, as those were essentially the first processors to have the multiplier locked. Bottom line: I'd have no qualms about doing a little overclocking with these new Intel chips, especially considering that Intel is essentially *encouraging* you to do it. <g> Warranty disclaimers aside, they would not be practically endorsing such behavior if they didn't think it was easy and safe. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:37 am 

Whats the difference between FCLGA1156 (I5-655K) and good old fashioned LGA1156?

Do I need new Motherboard etc?

Also any plans for a S1366 K edition CPU?

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:31 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Whats the difference between FCLGA1156 (I5-655K) and good old fashioned LGA1156?

Nothing. Technically that CPU is in a Flip-Chip Land Grid Array (FCLGA) package that installs in socket LGA1156.

Quote:
Do I need new Motherboard etc?

That depends on what board you have now. The board (and BIOS) should support the CPU, and if you want to overclock it, should support such options as well. The board should also support FDI (Flexible Display Interface) if you are installing a processor with integrated video (like the i5-655K). Intel has a list of recommended boards (and other components) in its Enthusiast Solutions Catalog.

Quote:
Also any plans for a S1366 K edition CPU?

Yes, in fact unlocked LGA1366 chips came first (as indicated in my original post above). Currently you have a choice between the quad-core i7-965 or i7-975, and the six-core i7-980X. However unlike the newer socket LGA1156 chips, socket LGA1366 processors are not targeted towards the mainstream buyer. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Is it too early to upgrade my processor?....Hmmm I don't know if it would be a smart financial decision...

It's almost never smart financially, but it can be fun. <g> You might have to change the motherboard to take full advantage of that unlocked CPU, as Intel seems to show a "2.0" version of your board being recommended in its Enthusiast Catalog.

Quote:
How simple would it be to overclock the new cpu if I decide to get it?

It is pretty simple as all it takes is to change a few settings in the BIOS Setup. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:19 am 

It just keeps getting better for the consumer. At least it seems that way. I especially like what AMD has been doing with some of their procs. Of course I think AMD is forcing Intels hand a bit. Competition is good.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:49 pm 

Scott,

I would love to get my hands on one of these unlocked chips, but I cannot afford to grab the i7-875K although I wish I could. Most review sites have sited that the 875K is a far better deal then 655K with regard to pricing and performance for your dollar. If I just wanted to "play" around with one of these unlocked processors do you see anything wrong with going for the cheaper i5-655K even though the i7-875K is the better value?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:58 am 
Site Admin

Nothing wrong with that, in fact the i5-655K has integrated video, so you could build a relatively low-cost yet easily overclockable system using that chip. I'm not a gamer, so I'm actually a big fan of integrated video as it greatly reduces system complexity and power consumption. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:26 pm 

Scott wrote:
I'm not a gamer, so I'm actually a big fan of integrated video as it greatly reduces system complexity and power consumption. Scott.

Scott just a question about this statement. I always suggest installing a low cost video card because watching hi def video or even sometimes standard def video can be very CPU intensive. Installing a video card can alleviate that situation. Also NVidia and to a lesser extent ATI is making a strong push to enhance other areas of computing with GPUs. I find systems with video cards tend to run better than those without. As far as reducing power consumption there are several cards out there that run very cool and without much power.
Where do you stand on all this? Do you see a big future for the GPU in general purpose computing? Personally I think it will become more important thanks to the pure parallel processing power of a typical GPU.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I always suggest installing a low cost video card because watching hi def video or even sometimes standard def video can be very CPU intensive.

That isn't really much of a problem with modern multi-core processors, which can handle that sort of load with ease. Besides, Intel has included HD decoding in its integrated graphics since at least the G45 chipset, released in mid-2008.

Quote:
Do you see a big future for the GPU in general purpose computing?

For discrete GPUs? No. Intel currently has a higher graphics market share than both AMD and Nvidia combined. Intel's dominance in this area is nothing new, in fact due to its success with integrated graphics, Intel has had the highest overall share of the graphics market since 2004. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Scott's Tips