[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs Forum • View topic - The 2TB (Terabyte) drive limit has officially been reached!
Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Scott's Tips

Post subject: The 2TB (Terabyte) drive limit has officially been reached!
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: The 2TB (Terabyte) drive limit has officially been reached!
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

Since I started this topic, an enhancement to the standard has been proposed, which enables the support of >2TiB drives or volumes for non-UEFI aware legacy BIOSes and non-GPT aware legacy operating systems.

Here are the details: EDD-4 standardizes BIOS level calls for booting from Mass Storage devices, allowing for an industry standard software interface. In July 2009 the was proposed, which describes GPT-aware “hybrid” MBR and VBR boot code that allows systems with legacy BIOS and OS to boot from a GPT partition.

In addition, a proposed change to the standard provides an improved method for devices to report capacities >2TiB.

It is interesting to note that Apple created a proprietary hybrid MBR for its software, which enables booting to Windows on Apple systems. Fortunately the industry as a whole won't be using the , since it violates the existing standard.

What does all of this mean for the average user? Based on what I see from the standards, legacy BIOS and OS should only need modified partitioning and formatting programs that write hybrid MBRs and VBRs to enable support of GPT partitions, including those that exend beyond 2TiB. Those that use a standard (non-hybrid) GPT disk layout can use some sort of "mounting" program or driver. I'd expect several of these types of programs to be available open source or possibly even from the drive mfrs. when they start selling >2TiB drives.

Another recent development in disk drive technology is , however this is unrelated to the 2TiB barrier issue, and is instead designed mainly to extract an additional 7-11% of capacity for a given areal density. Besides, drives with 4K physical sectors will still present themselves to the interface as having 512 byte logical sectors. Scott.

Post subject: Re: The 2TB (Terabyte) drive limit has officially been reached!
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:56 am 

Thanks for breaking all this down once again. Over the last week I have been reading several documents at both The Serial ATA International Organization's and the Technical Committee T13's sites. I read the proposed 2TiB Boundary Reporting change you linked to but the PDF makes much more sense with your notes.

Evan

Post subject: Re: The 2TB (Terabyte) drive limit has officially been reach
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:17 pm 

Now that the 2TB limit has been reached there is no stopping. 3TB drives are on their way.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3713/hard ... tb-in-2010

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:24 am 

Seagate is shipping 3TB hard drives in mid-July!

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:52 am 

Anyone fancy losing 3TB of data? I think drives should have built in Raid 1 but appear as just one drive to the BIOS/OS, no more needing Raid controllers! :)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:27 am 
Site Admin

Anyone buying 3TB drives should . <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:01 am 

Post subject: UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) coming?
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:14 pm 

I am starting to see greater than 2Tb drives and still no widespread agreement on which EFI will be used -- or does that even matter -- and the motherboards are not showing up supporting an EFI standard.

I am not sure I would want to be buying a socket AM3, 1156 or 1366 motherboard without the assurance that two years from now when 5Tb drives run $100 will be available I would have to get a new socket AM4, 2011 or 1155 motherboard...assuming it has shown up by then.

So any updates on what is likely to be adopted for a standard and when? And is it possible they have dual BIOS transition design? Or is there a better solution to OS/hardware interaction?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

Currently I have no updates to what I've posted earlier in this thread so far. This type of change takes a while to filter down throughout the industry. There still aren't any internal >2TB drives available on NewEgg for example. As soon as the drive mfrs. start selling >2TB drives in volume, we'll see more available solutions to the problem. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:25 am 

I think this and the SSD issue (trim support only in W7+) will help to kill XP, Also I think the 4GB limit in XP (Except x64 of course) will also start to take the shine off XP.

2014 is the last date in which XP will be anywhere near me! (Security updates ending then) I expect to upgrade my systems with maybe Windows 8,9,10 by then.

Post subject: Re: UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) coming?
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:00 am 

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:53 am 
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:03 am 

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:44 am 

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:39 am 
Site Admin

Obviously doesn't yet see the "superiority" in 7/Vista, or at least they don't think it is worth the price of admission. <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:39 am 

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:42 am 

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:11 am 
Site Admin

XP is actually still "selling" quite well in the form of downgrade rights, which unfortunately count as sales of 7/Vista as reported by Microsoft, but which truly end up as online users of XP. And that is really the main point I was making. I didn't say one was "better" than the other, I basically said that the existing installed base of XP is *so* large and the momentum so great that MS will have a hard time turning off the switch in 2014. So much so that I am predicting an extension of that date, else there will be a malware explosion that will be detrimental to everybody, including those running newer OS. Most systems more than two years old can't run 7/Vista very well (if at all), and as such upgrading isn't an option even if it were free. But of course it isn't free, and the differences in actual usable features for most people are so minor that I don't recommend upgrading from XP to Vista or 7 (i.e. paying for Windows twice on the same system).

For new systems that come with Windows 7, I do recommend staying with that as opposed to downgrading to XP, but again that wasn't really the point I was responding to. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:25 pm 

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:56 pm 

The economy sucks. It is unlikely to get better anytime soon.

That means businesses will try to stretch their machines longer, and delay upgrading/ replacing as long as possible and necessary.

Some of those are large corporations that buy MS support for XP and expect support. [and Linux is free.]

edit: .

Last edited by FascistNation on Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:57 pm 

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Scott's Tips