[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs Forum • View topic - Laptop shows low wi-fi signal strength
Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration

Post subject: Laptop shows low wi-fi signal strength
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:47 pm 

I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 Laptop that is showing low signal strength from the router. This is a friends machine that I fixed and it was working perfect when I gave it back to him.

Then he said about 3 months later that it was dropping connection to his router, an a freebie from verizon FIOS. So I brought it back to the house where I have a brighthouse router (RCA) on Roadrunner. Sure enough it was showing a very weak signal. My Toshiba sitting right next to it showed very strong signal. Suspecting to Wireless card I put a Netgear USB adapter on it with the same results. I have run the virus scans, MalwareBytes, Search and Destroy Spyware remover.

Today I took it down to the family History Center and accessed their Network. BUT even though I was in the same room with the NetGear Router it STILL showed a weak signal even though it did stay on the network. I have this nagging suspicion that it's a card setting but I can't find it. I have Googled it and really read your boards pretty thoroughly. All Drivers are up to date

About the only thing I havn't done is re install system. It is WIN XP SP3 all updates installed

Post subject: Re: Laptop shows low wi-fi signal strength
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:45 am 
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:51 pm 

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/ ... rue#Issue4

The adapter is " Dell Wireless 1370 Wlan Mini PCI Card Rev4.12 "
Chipset BCM4318
Driver3.100.35.0 built by WinDDK Dated 11-27-2004

The Machine is Dell Inspiron 2200 Model PP10S Service Tag 3KV5X81

I did find a new driver dated 2006 AFTER I started a complete restore. I did bring mthe machine into my computer room and had it 6 feet from the router. It was showing 2 to 3 bars. It should have been off the charts. I'll update after the Restore and Driver update. Thanks.. Love your books. I have about 6 of them. I like the concept. Buy my book and you get on the board...Cool :)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:36 am 
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:08 pm 

Downloaded the Lenovo Driver for the wireless card but it would not install.

Is there a service that monitors the incoming radio signal???

Next step is a complete WIN XP install Sigh.........

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:19 am 
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:57 am 

Might be worth checking that the push fit Wireless antenna have not come loose inside the machine, after perhaps a drop or possibly something like a drink spill corrosion.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:15 am 

It's a shame we never heard back from this post. Scott gave some great instruction on how use drivers.

Just out of curiosity, is this a normal practice with driver exe files (like )

Evan

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:29 am 
Site Admin

It's not what I'd call "normal", but it happens... Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:55 am 

So I guess it's just a trial and error approach. Change the extension to *.zip and try it? I guess a "relatively" large *.exe would be a giveaway, but that's *relative*.

Evan

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:07 am 
Site Admin

Many .exe files are . If you use a proper archiving program like you don't even need to change the extension in order to view or manually extract files from them. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Network Hardware & Configuration