Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: New Lenova T550
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:37 pm 

Hello Scott,
Mid June I received my new T550, plugged in the portable HDD (with two usb plugs) to transfer software and data. Next morning, it had no power even after the power reset procedure posted on the Lenova website. Under the warranty, Lenova arranged a local tech to come to site and replace the MB. Great excitement to use the laptop again.
A day later (with the external HDD still plugged in) the same thing happened and Lenova again arranged replacement MB. By this time, I was wondering about the portable HDD and vowed not to leave it plugged in. You guessed it - I forgot and it happened again. For the third repair, it had to be sent to Lenova in Sydney and the repair description is "Other cables reseated". It has been a pleasure to use over the last week. I've used the portable HDD with just one usb plugged in and removed it immediately. My question: Is the portable HDD to blame?

Post subject: Re: New Lenova T550
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:51 pm 
Site Admin

It is not likely, but I suppose it might be possible. More likely it may just be coincidence. Does the external HDD work properly with other systems? If so I doubt it is the cause of any problems. Scott.

Post subject: Re: New Lenova T550
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:03 am 

Thanks very much for the reassurance Scott. The external HDD has been plugged into the superseded Dell for some years. Lenova is to be congratulated for their speedy attention to the problem. Thanks again.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware